D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Default Who can school me on transmissions?

I've done a lot of searching and as of yet I've come up empty handed in trying to find an explanation of the various Volvo transmissions.

What I'm after is information about what manual transmissions were available with the D24's? Can the bell housing be used with other transmissions? What sort of power handling capabilities are realistic? What sort of clutch does it use? 228-240mm? Where can I find gear ratio information?

I know you probably just want to tell the newb to search, but if you could at least point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Owner/admin

M46

They cant hold much power.

There are adapters to use the bellhousing and mate to a mustang T-5. (I'm doing a conversion right now, check out my thread).

Clutch is approx 9" dia. Clutchnet sells a number of different clutches you can upgrade with. They also do heavier pressure plates. I'm running a 6 puck and stock pressure plate and broke 3rd gear in 3 days.

I also found and listed gear ratios in my thread. There were only a couple different ones, I believe the only difference was early and later style (steel or alum case) and the difference was 1st gear.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Owner/admin

Forgot, there is also a M47 true 5 speed, and a M90. If your in the US, all you will get is the M46. By the others came out, they weren't selling the diesel here anymore.

Jason

Old 05-11-2010, 11:40 AM

Are the gas transmissions the same type? Are those useful in any way with the D24? The T-5 isn't the best choice out there, but it could be worse. I take it the bell housing must be a seperate peice then? I may have to pick one up.

9" is about 228mm. I have my suspicions that you could actually use a flywheel from something like an Audi 5000 turbo to upgrade to a 240mm clutch. Thanks for the links though, I think this actually solves my dilemma. Now to look for a T-5....
Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Owner/admin

Ya the gas m46s are the same, but of course a differnt bell housing. The world class T-5 is a hell of an upgrade I would say. There are plenty of V-8 mustangs out there running 11s and 12s in the quarter with T-5s and they aren't breaking them every weekend! The gears in the M46 are pretty small. Its a nice shifting and quiet trans, and fine for a daily driver or cruiser... If your planning on turning up the much, it wont hold up which I found out very quickly. I was hoping it would have at least lasted through the summer!

The bellhousing bolts to the trans, and D24, d24t are differnent. You need to get the one for whatever car you have. The d24 sits at an angle, the D24t in the 7 series sits almost verticle.

Jason

Old 05-11-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Ya the gas m46s are the same, but of course a differnt bell housing. The world class T-5 is a hell of an upgrade I would say. There are plenty of V-8 mustangs out there running 11s and 12s in the quarter with T-5s and they aren't breaking them every weekend! The gears in the M46 are pretty small. Its a nice shifting and quiet trans, and fine for a daily driver or cruiser... If your planning on turning up the much, it wont hold up which I found out very quickly. I was hoping it would have at least lasted through the summer!

The bellhousing bolts to the trans, and D24, d24t are differnent. You need to get the one for whatever car you have. The d24 sits at an angle, the D24t in the 7 series sits almost verticle.

Jason
I was not aware that those sat at different angles. It would seem that the adapter plate is dual drilled for a couple of different angles though. Do you happen to know the different angles in the cars? I'll see what I can find. This is just in the planning stages for a non-Volvo project using Volvo parts to get some sort of RWD combination with a VW engine.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Owner/admin

The adapters I have seen dont have a different bolt pattern to accomidate for turbo and non turbo bell housings. One company that makes one says it will mount the engine at a different angle if you want, but I don't know as though you can use the different bolt pattern to make up for the slant of the non turbo bellhousing, or if the angle is even in the right direction to make up for it. You will be best off getting a turbo bell housing that mounts the engine and trans straight up. I have heard of guys making engine mounts and using the non turbo bell housing and kinda dividing the difference, but the trans is going to end up being at somewhat of an angle which has gotta mess with the shifter position somewhat.

Jason

Old 08-02-2014, 01:48 PM

Default T-5 Swap Thread Referral is Incorrect

Jason,

I was interested in the same general topic as the OP. I wish we could get the M47 here in the states... Nonetheless, I would like to know about your T-5 conversion but, the url you have in your signature is not right.

Rick
Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 AM

Vehicle: Volvo 965

I broke an M46 at about 1.8bar...but it was WOT driving for about a year and a half, so with a grain of salt and being less of a hillbilly than me, it can take a lot. Third gear fell apart.

Anyway, M46 and M47 are the same for D24 and petrol engines, as Jason said, bellhousings are different, and they're held on the transmission with 4 14mm bolts. I put an M47 behind my D24TIC when I broke that M46.

Shifter cage and front half of the driveshaft are different between M46 and M47.
M47 has a double tri-star with a rubber donut, just like BMW Getrag (Getrag 260, BMW M20/M50 engines, etc), and, IIRC Mercedes cars and Alfa 75, etc, where as M46 has a 4 bolt flange and a U-joint behind it. M46 front driveshaft is also shorter.

Don't stress yourself over M47. It's the weaker transmission of the two, M46 generally holds more power than an M47.

If you really have a good reason for ditching the M46, I'd go with Getrag 260, if you have the means, or Mustang World Class T5, since they are, AFAIK, readily available and dirt cheap stateside.