D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Josh
Default B100? Soy-based Bio-diesel?

Hey guys, I just moved to Eugene! Seems like the bio-diesel capitol of the world here... so many TDIs running around with "Powered by Bio-Diesel" stickers on them.

I live fairly close to a Alternative fuel station that has "Soy power" B100 fuel... its about $.30 cheaper per gallon than regular diesel around here... was wondering if its possible for me to just throw it in my gas tank and go? Anything I need to convert or worry about? Would it be better to go with a blend?

My car smokes so much that I'd much rather it smell like bio-diesel rather than diesel... so it'd be cool if I could do this pretty easily!

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:01 AM

Yes you can. On the first tank of biodiesel you are going to run is going to clean your diesel and will clog your fuel filter (you will know it when it happens) It's happened to me twice when running biodiesel for the first time. Another thing your return lines to your injectors will become very soft and will leak over time. It's good to get some viton lines on greaseworks.com worth the money.

I've been running B100 over a year with no problems in my diesel
Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Josh

So maybe I should wait until I have money for a fuel filter and some fuel lines on hand I'm pretty much broke right now until I start school in 2 weeks. I'll do it then!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Default More biodiesel

B100 runs great during the summer, however, you might want to do a blend in the winter. That or you can add antigel to your tank or ask if it is already been added at the fuel station. There's lots of info out there about winter biodiesel, so I won't include it here. Also, I can't prove that it was related the switch to B100, but soon after I switched over, the main gasket in the fuel injector pump blew and I had to have it rebuilt. However, it was rebuilt with bio compatible seals, so no problems now. I never had any problems with my return lines. Other than that possible problem, I haven't had any issues running B100 or B20 in it and it smells great. You might want to get the injection timing checked out if it smokes a WHOLE lot. However, that's not area of speciality so hopefully someone else can make a better recommendation on that.
1972 VW Beetle 1600 standard