D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 09-08-2009, 12:22 AM

Default What would you consider to be a "Rebuild?"

As the title says, I wanna know what your definition of a rebuild is. When I finally find a good D24T, my plan of attack is to hot tank the block, re-ring the pistons, replace the rod bearings, hone the cylinders and then call it a day. While I'm at it, I'll probably also install head studs from ARP or whoever makes them. Does a good rebuild concern the head at all? Right now, I'm just planning on using the head I have currently on the D24. I wasn't planning on messing with it as the previous owner says it was "rebuilt" (he also said the block was in good shape but we all know how that turned out). Anyway, just wanted to hear your opinions since the word "rebuild" seems to mean different things to different people.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:06 AM

Hi! I would say a bottom rebuild is like this... new bearings and crank regrind if needed, measure the cylinders for wear if needed do a rebore to fit OD pistons/rings, If within limits hone it and put new rings in it, do not forget to check the condition of your oilpump and renew it if nescessary, I always replace waterpump when i replace timingbelts.
But I almost forgot... check the block for cracks,scoring and so on on the topdeck...
Now is also a good time to install a blockheater if you live in a place with cold winters...
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

On a VW diesel (including D24 and D24T), it's almost certain that unless the engine is super low mileage or has used synthetic oil since new, your cylinder bores will be worn (tapered at top). You'll need to measure the bore wear and comprare with spec. It's almost a given you'll need to have it bored a size or two over, and get a new set of correspondingly larger pistons and rings. Luckily these parts are available fairly easily and cheaply, since they are the same parts used in the smaller and more common VW 1.6 motors.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Owner/admin

I would still take the head apart and check to see if it was really "rebuilt" or if it just had new valve stem seals installed. They can hide worn guides for a while. Also, if the exhaust valves weren't replaced, that is a must. They fatigue from the high heat. Regrinding the intakes are exceptable. I wouldn't have anyone touch the crank, I dont know of oversize main bearings (at least not that I have seen). Everything else you said sounds good. I would replace the oil pump no matter what. With the super long pickup tube, having a pump that is as close to new as possible will help it pick up quicker.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I didn't think I would need oversize pistons. I'll definitely look into that, but I hope I get lucky with whatever engine I find. I think I'll leave the crank alone if at all possible. New oil pump sounds like a good idea.