D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 07-07-2009, 07:07 AM

Default Timing

Not pump timing with a dial gauge but with a timing light. Has anyone ever used one and what do you set it at. Or is it a more accurate way to set than a dial gauge. I have one but never hooked it up.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Owner/admin

The timing isn't meaured in degrees, and theres nothing to trip the light with since there are no plug wires. You aren't going to find a more accurate way to set the timing than with the dial gauge. You are measuring it at the pump where its happening. Even on the newer diesels like the TDI, timing is done through the cars pcm with vag-com, but you are still measuring the timing in mm of pump stroke.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 PM

Look for a diesel timing light, I know what im talking about. It clamps to the injector pipe.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Owner/admin

Where are you going to time it to? There is only a notch on the flywheel/flexplate for TDC, and its not very easy to see. I cant see how that can be any more accurate than timing from the pump itself with a quality dial indicator.

Jason

Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Thats what I'm asking, how do you time it? I have a diesel timing light, but I don't know enough about it to mess with it. By my understanding timing it with a light is more accurate. I don't want to start a argument about it, I'm just looking for more information.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to cuaz64

Well, from what I know you can't use timing light for the D24T. IMO the standard timing tools is the best tool to adjust timing. IIRC you can measure the exact injection point (in crackshaft degrees?) and the pump stroke. Maybe you know, but you can find good info about the D24T in http://volvoturbodiesel.blogspot.com/:)
Old 07-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Owner/admin

I think how accurate it is would depend on the injection system you are testing. With a VE pump, you are measuring the pump stroke at the pump, so you know exactly where the timing is. The light may be more accurate with another style injection pump or injection system possibly. You could also use it to measure injection timing advance with the engine running, which obviously isn't possible with the dial indicator. Either way I have never heard of anyone using a timing light on any VE pumped diesel including the D24, VW 1.6, or Cummins B series engines.

If you do find info on how to set it up I would be very interested to see, I'm not trying to shoot your idea down here at all.

Jason

Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 AM

As soon as I get a free minute I will hook it up and see if it works. Or how to use it.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

As a VE pump gets older, the seals wear a little bit and actual point of injection can get delayed somewhat (or so I've heard). Therefore some people say timing with the dial indicator, unless it's a brand new pump, doesn't always mean perfect accuracy. You might want to time it a little more advanced as the pump ages. That's what I did with my Rabbit.

If you had some way to measure the crankshaft angle where the injectors actually opened, that would be the most accurate. If you timing light can do that you've got something. However, I don't know how you would figure out what reference to use it with. Maybe you could take the trans off and make some marks on the flywheel to use the timing light with? Either way, it would be a hell of a lot of work... I'd just stick with the normal dial gauge and time it to .88 rather than .85 if you are concerned your point-of-injection might be lagging a bit.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

Funny, I went to DEQ after I first swapped to a D24 over a year ago, and they hooked up a lead to try and get my rpm's for the test to my fuel return lines. I got out of my car, and asked them what they were doing, and the guy administering my test ignored me and was like "wtf why won't it work?" then he called over the VIP manager or something. And she was like yes this is correct it should read a spark off the plug wiring.... and I spoke up and said Hey can't you hear that its a Diesel, AND see that the Valve cover says Diesel on it? Again ignored and they failed me. I couldn't believe it. They didn't believe me that I swapped a diesel engine into a gasser body. they think the VIN is correct and its still a 2.1 gas fueled engine, Even after they looked at the engine smelt the exhaust and me telling them its a diesel. Some people man.