D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 PM

cheers for that reply, definitely makes sense. i think the same theory is used to make sure that wheel braces tighten wheel nuts to roughly the right torque isn't it?

right, so what happened on saturday morning?

the day started with 'fire, to destroy all you've done...' (i posted this on VOC last night and i will make it clear on here that i have no knowledge of who that song is by and don't know any of the song other than that line, which is featured in the background in 'hot fuzz')

in my case it was to remove the evidence of me having sheared off an EGR pipe stud.

having made surprisingly easy work of that i moved on to some cleaning:

as you can see it was already starting to rain by the time i got this pipe clean enough to notice that damage. its not all that clear but something has cut pretty deep into now of my intercooler pipes! will have to find a replacement one sometime and i don't see any chance of the intercooler being upgraded any time soon so a standard replacement may have to be found.

anyway, by now it was raining properly, so i took over the kitchen worktop (after protecting it from damage of course - definitely didn't have to be told to do that one and i've certainly never managed to drill a hole in it before which wouldn't have anything to do with why i'm forced to be so careful now - and i started working on a little modification that i've been planning for a while and thought i'd implement while all the parts were off already.

a while back i faffed about with the fan from the V70 that i broke trying to make it fit my fan shroud and still clear the fan pulley on the D24. saturday i decided i'd make it fit while i had all the bits off, especially since my viscous coupling had seized solid. this was what i ended up with after a bit of cleaning (i decided that the fan shroud was wwayyy to dirty to be in my engine bay)

a few screws and some filing:

add a fan:

job done, it actually looks fairly decent surprisingly!

missing in all my photos for some reason is the bracket off the V70 which will hold the relay and the thermostat which i stuck together as theres no fixing method on the thermostat.

there you go, one new electric fan shroud and complete wiring for it. total cost so far, one thermostat off ebay for less than a tenner including postage

remaining issue, i don't think its actually far enough forward to clear the standard fan pulley, hence i'm removing the standard fan pulley all together and fitting a shorter belt to just go to the alternator alone.

simples

Richard