D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Suspension and Brakes

Old 01-25-2017, 10:18 AM

Default 740 lowering spring help

Hi!

I'm looking to lower my 740 saloon. I looked at some 40mm Apex lowering springs off flebay for a decent price, however they all seem to state that they fit 740 but excluding diesel?

Anyone could shine a light on this? I've messaged the seller but not heard anything back. Also my rear shocks are getting a bit bouncy, I'm open to recommendations on that.

I'm new to the forum so I apologise if this has been answered, however I couldn't find anything on the forum.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Supporting Member

The springs will work, I don't think it matters what engine is in there. Your car will end up being lower in the front then what they specify though. The springs are designed with the weight of the gasser.
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 01-25-2017, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Volvo 740 wagon suspension idea

Nothing is too expensive, it is all available relatively cheaply.
I have
Bilstein Touring (non heavy duty) shocks all around ($65each),
New front SKF upper bearings with all new front end bushings and anti sway bar end links,
Rear overload springs from IPD ($175 for the pair, that time),
IPD 25mm anti sway bars front And rear ($275 for the pair/kit),

The car is like a dream, it cant even get compared to what it was before.

It is cruising like a tank/aeroplane and feels super safe, stable, with absolutely no tilt, no wobbles, no bs going on.
Because all these updates were done at the same time, idk what changed the ride that much, but I can tell it was worth it a lot.

It cruises like never before.

The Bilstein TOURING shocks (front or rear) are NOT too soft in my opinion, also, these wagons are not needing overload shocks at all (in my opinion). You don't want to rattle your teeth out. You don't want extra noise. Also I'm running on Volvo Hydra (factory option) rims with 215/60 r16 tires... and it would be too stiff and noisy and uncomfy IF I had my car set up differently, such as: bigger diameter rims with `shorter` tires, poly bushings, or heavy duty shocks etc.
In my opinion you do not need heavy duty shocks/struts at all. Especially sedan owners. Wagon owners: maybe. Maybe not, Unless you carry weights of 300-500-700kgs, or towing some heavy duty trailer or another car or both. The overload REAR *SPRINGS* will be your best friend anyways.

NYC roads suck, bigtime, this setup was the best option for me. I truly love it.
My comment on our diesel-powered Volvos showing up on Car-parts websites: many of them do not even know they ever existed. )

The only thing I would do differently, is `getting rid` of my diesel front springs (if needed). I read a Volvo article on how they can elongate (weird!!?) as they get tired by aging, damn soft OR bad struts; AND badly sagging rear ends that change geometry a lot. I had it all...
Now after all the setups, the fender gap is bigger than before and that might be the case... IDK where to get NEW, oem DIESEL/TD front springs, if available at all. Thanks for comments on that.

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-25-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
The springs will work, I don't think it matters what engine is in there. Your car will end up being lower in the front then what they specify though. The springs are designed with the weight of the gasser.
thank you mate, i didn't think it would make any difference but i thought I'd check anyway if anyone had any experience with them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow
Bilstein Touring (non heavy duty) shocks all around ($65each),
New front SKF upper bearings with all new front end bushings and anti sway bar end links,
Rear overload springs from IPD ($175 for the pair, that time),
IPD 25mm anti sway bars front And rear ($275 for the pair/kit)
That sounds like a proper sweet set up man. How did you come up with it?

I'm really just looking to get it a bit lower for aesthetic reasons really. It rides really nice with the stock springs but it looks too high!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post

The only thing I would do differently, is `getting rid` of my diesel front springs (if needed). I read a Volvo article on how they can elongate (weird!!?) as they get tired by aging, damn soft OR bad struts; AND badly sagging rear ends that change geometry a lot. I had it all...
Now after all the setups, the fender gap is bigger than before and that might be the case... IDK where to get NEW, oem DIESEL/TD front springs, if available at all. Thanks for comments on that.
Do you mean you regret getting rid of the diesel springs? Or you regret not getting rid of them. I've been thinking about replacing mine with something shorter. I've had good experience with bilstein touring on 870s, this sounds like a good setup.