D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 06-10-2016, 09:48 AM

Default Slow building turbo pressure

Hi there, i have a problem with the turbo pressure, turbo is very slow building boost, and then after a big black smoke and some time, turbo spools and i can see boost raising on the gauge.. what do you think can be the problem? wastegate? wastegate lines leaking?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Did this begin suddenly or has it been a problem that got worse over time?

Check basics first, blocked air filter, restricted fuel filter, etc.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:55 PM

Thanks for answering! I adjusted injection pump lda screw and fuel screw and now turbo is alive again Truck is making boost sooner. I emptied the muffler and now truck sounds very nice! i can hear turbo spooling now.
I have installed boost gauge and i noticed max boost i can see is 0.5bar... is it normal? i read is possible to install a ball bearing boost controller on the wastegate line for getting more boost...what do you think about it?

Engine has some marbles in a can sound, i think timing may be a bit advanced... i pull the timing advance lever and wait for glow plugs light off and then start...engine starts in about 1 second! is that maybe a sign that timing is little way advance? I set timing to 1.05mm with gauge, but i read if injection pump max fuel screw is tampered, the timing adjust with gauge has not sense anymore, is it tue? if so i will try to retard it a little...

P.D: I have changed the alternator with a new fresh unit but my alt light stays on when start the engine, and i have to rev the engine for the light turn off... is that a sign that my idle is low? I have not rev counter on the truck and don't know about what the rpms are...

THANKS

Last edited by Ekus; 06-30-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekus View Post
I emptied the muffler...
What was in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekus View Post
I set timing to 1.05mm with gauge, but i read if injection pump max fuel screw is tampered, the timing adjust with gauge has not sense anymore, is it tue?
Not true. What affects the gauge timing is if the cold start advance lever is in the advance position, but your 1.05mm might be too advanced, mine run best between .85 -.90mm.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
What was in there?

Not true. What affects the gauge timing is if the cold start advance lever is in the advance position, but your 1.05mm might be too advanced, mine run best between .85 -.90mm.
There was some pipes with holes on them, all of them loose in the inside making a ratte noise at idle, now sounds awesome.

Good to hear that about the timing and fuel screw. I will try set ip to 0.90mm.

Max turbo boost i can see is 0.5bar (7.2psi), i read VW set these turbos to 0.5bar, do you know is it true or my turbo is making little boost?

About the alternator light, do you think problem may be low idle? new alternator is installed and the alternator light is making the same...

THANKS

Last edited by Ekus; 07-04-2016 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
What was in there?

Thanks Gnoma, you was right about timing, i set to 0.90mm and truck runs and sounds better. I play with the fuel screw and smoke screw and now truck has a lot of power, no smoke and runs nice.
I tested the engine and max coolant temp was 97ºc... that temp was with an ambient temp of 35ºc, driving it hard, climbing using higher gear with full throtle for max egts...Temp never passed 97ºc, i'm really happy with it.