D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2013, 08:46 AM

Default Free to a good home...

**Moderator please feel free to move to for sale section if you think it is more appropriate.**

Hi, this is my first post here, but I've lurked on and off for quite a while, and have always found the info here to be useful.

I am offering the 1984 Volvo 240 Diesel I've owned for about 13 years free to a good home that will care for her. I own 3 cars, not counting my wife's, and I just bought another. So, sadly, the Volvo has to go. I've loved this car every moment I owned it (except when paying the bill at the repair shop) and have tried to keep it up. The car runs, drives, and looks decent. Details below...

The car is grey, with a tan interior. It was repainted in 2000, and looked great for about 6 years. The paint has dulled now. I was involved in an accident in 2008(?) and the hood, radiator support, and right front fender were replaced. The repair shop did a pretty good job matching the faded paint, but you can tell. To look great again, the car would need a repaint. The interior was originally leather, but the seating surfaces deteriorated so it was redone in cloth, I think in about 1999. It still looks okay, although the top of the back seat is somewhat faded. Dash is cracked, of course, but has a fitted dash mat. Carpets OK. Sunroof will not open all the way, and seeps a slight bit of water in a car wash but not in the rain. Weatherstripping around front winshield needs replaced. Has approx. 160,000 miles-odometer "hangs on the 9's" for the last 2 or so years. Oil changed every 2,500 miles with 15/40 Rotella when the car was in regular use. Last 4 years Rotella 5/40 synthetic once or twice a year. Driven less than 4,000 miles the last 3 years, probably. But I did drive it regularly...

Recent work (not an exhaustive list--I have all receipts from 7/2000 on):

1/31/2013- remove broken P/S pump bracket, professionally weld, reinstall.

8/8/2011- rebuild injectors, replace timing belt/roller/water pump, drive belts, replaced brake booster with used unit, tires (Discount Tire mid level touring--can't remember brand) and alignment.

2010-oil sender unit

4/14/09-new Bosch alternator

11/6/08-tie rods

11/6/07-all glow plugs

9/20/07-steering rack

2/13/07-complete injection pump rebuild/reseal

8/29/06-rear brake pads, calipers, and rotors

1/26/06-valve job and replace headgasket

10/6/05-new front struts

6/17/05-replace reat shocks (KYB, I think)

9/10/04-replace main wiring harness

4/4/02-A/C compessor / dryer / expansion valve

2/13/02-new clutch, pilot bearing, transmission mount, and rear main seal

12/31/02-new Nissens 3-row radiator.

Issues: sunroof iffy (see above); glow plug relay is hit or miss lately, usually works, but glow light flickers while driving; HVAC vacuum circuit has leak causing brakes to feel heavy after initial push; somewhat smokey at idle, probably blow-by/gummy rings--might clear up with more driving...or might not. Not much rust, but some under left taillight, on left bottom corner of back window, and driver's floorboard near back. A/C doesn't work, but will cool if you pump some R-134A in it. Heater works.

Would prefer to give to someone who will keep it together, but once it's yours, if you want to use it as a donor, just don't tell me about it. I personally WILL NOT part it out, so please don't message me to ask for parts.

Car is located in Austin, TX. Would prefer to have someone near by take it, but doesn't matter--just don't ask me if it'll drive to Oregon. I don't know. It might. Or it might not. In 2008-2009 I used to drive it to the Valley to do pro bono legal work on a regular basis, and it worked fine.

Would prefer private messages on this site for interested parties. I could get photos if interested person really, really needs them. My job is really busy right now, so I need this to be as easy a process as possible for me (says the guy asking folks to help him out--sorry).

My name is Chris Clapham and I'll try to answer any question you might have via PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 AM

Default Claimed!

Car heads to its new home in San Antonio, Texas, next week.

Moderator, please feel free to delete my original post.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

That was quick...

Did it go to a member here? Sounds like it got a lot of care over the years, hope we hear from the new owner and that it continues to stay on the road and healthy. Thanks for making sure it went to the right kind of home by putting it up here.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM

I'm glad it's in the neighborhood.

Edit: I'm in san Marcos, between yall

Last edited by pgringo; 02-18-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:46 PM

Default follow up

It actually went to go reside as a shop car for the repair place I used in San Antonio. I called them to find out about some work I had done to the car to update the repaired parts list, and they asked if they could have it. I figured it'd at least be taken care of there, parked inside at night, etc.

I miss that car. There is something really unique about these vehicles. I have a '85 Mercedes 300D and that is a better built car (even the interior clock still works at 300,000+ miles) but it just doesn't have the character of the Volvo...

Pgringo, don't you also post on PeachParts? I am a member there too, but don't post often...just try to learn by reading... ("Volvo Diesel" is actually my name there).
Old 04-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Yep, no question there are a few shortcomings that these cars have but in spite of that, there's something about their character that is endearing and satisfying in ways that more "perfect" machines often aren't. (Though I would have trouble calling a W123 Benz perfect, either.... )

Glad it found a good home. Would you care to share the name of the shop who maintained it for you over the years? There have been a couple of members here from Texas who have struggled to find someone competent to keep their diesels on the road, having info about a shop with D24 experience may be useful to them.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 AM

Default Texas D24 shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Would you care to share the name of the shop who maintained it for you over the years? There have been a couple of members here from Texas who have struggled to find someone competent to keep their diesels on the road, having info about a shop with D24 experience may be useful to them.
In Austin, I used both Phoenix Motor Works on West 6th Street and Kenny Hill Autowerks off S. Lamar. Both were competent to work on the car. Kenny Hill is a VW specialty shop, but the owner is familar with the D24 engine. For the first 6 years I owned the car, I used a great shop off Anderson Lane called Dave's Imports. Dave had a diesel wagon and really knew the diesels. Sadly, he closed up shop and retired to the country in 2006.

In San Antonio, I used Autobahn Automotive off of 410 and Starcrest. Also competent.

In Dallas, I used Dallas Elect Auto Center. Competent shop, as well. Have no idea if they are still around.

I hope this is helpful for other Texas members.