D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2020, 07:51 AM

Vehicle: 1980 volvo

I look forward to your entries. I have respect for your work and the way you are sharing it. I will be harvesting a 82 D24 for transplant into my 80 245. This work of yours will help me. Thank you.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Thank you!

Today I made new threads for the fuel filter top bracket bleeder bolt hole. Do not overtighten these because it is very easy to break the threads. Also easy to redo them.

Then I found a nice exact match blocking rubber cap with clamp, to close off the turbo front when i`m not near the garage (no dirt can enter and no kids dropping stuff in).

Then I took apart the ac fan to see if I could revive it but it seems to be very corroded. Currently soaking in wd40, electrical parts looking good.

Also grabbed the td instrument cluster to see details and compare it to what I have in my other d24t car. Long story... not for here. But I`m glad I kept this td cluster bc it has great parts that I may need one day or use the cluster as is.

Then I connected finally the fuel filter for the motor on the engine stand
and connected all so now it is how it all should be: all fuel entering the IP is filtered. And I`ll use diesel fuel from now on, not ATF.

For my d24t wagon,

I cut the fuel hose in half (the inlet side that gets the fuel from filter to the ip) and I drained some fresh diesel for myself (no driving bc pouring rain and car battery was out).
In the future, I am planning to install a fuel hose T shape connector in there. It will have a drain valve with a shutoff lever so I`ll never have to take fuel cans to the gas station when I need diesel for the spare motor.

Or for when I`m soaking parts.
It is also a good idea to have that T because you could literally run the car from a jar at any moment in time, even for not long. For example, a roadside issue, when you think your tank is clogged, your filter is clogged or both. I`ll put an inline motorcycle filter in my glovebox too and 2 small clamps as emergency kit.

If you suspected that your fuel is contaminated, running from a jar you could really keep driving immediately (ATF bottle in trunk?)
NOTE: In my d24t car, the tank has a low pressure pump from the gasser volvo and that pushes fuel nicely when I turn the ignition into position 2. That`s how I can drain my fuel anytime now into a jar and it is very convenient. Except that you need a battery back from your spare engine, right? LOLLL (in rain)

A hand operated drain&shutoff valve is the next addition.
I`m thinking of something like this:
but it needs to look better, smaller, lightweight, and rated for diesel fuel.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-4mm-Bra...-/323244611659

PS. Get yourself a $6 lockable fuel cap for your diesel car before somebody starts filling it up with petrol, a typical gas station effect. Coming back from the restroom you`ll be cursing for a while.

Sorry this was off-topic to the d24t spare engine`s progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200706_210430.jpg (777.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20200706_211401.jpg (339.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20200706_220305.jpg (748.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20200706_010112.jpg (410.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200706_211707.jpg (505.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-06-2020 at 08:35 PM.