D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Owner/admin

Default M46 is DONE! Already!!!

Hey Everyone,
I finnaly got the M46 swap done, and what a different car it is! I'm running the clutchnet 6 puck sprung center disc. No slippage running 20+ lbs boost. I'm using the stock TD pressure plate, (German Sachs). I can easily burn the tires off in 1st, spin them through 2nd gear, and it chirps them into 3rd! The performance increase is HUGE. I should be going to the track in the next week or two. I'll get some new video and some better times!

Just thought I would give everyone an update. I may do a quick video later today.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

OH damn hell fuck yeah, I bet you'll notice your torque actually GETS used in the LOW end.

Are you going to swap in the N/A cam shaft, Supposedly It holds the intake valve open longer.

I am going to try this and see what happens in my own motor. I need to install new cam seals anyway.

I've recently aquired an M47 real 5 speed. Then I can move forwards to install the O.D unit to the rear axl for a Sixth gear!

congrats on removing the slopbox.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Owner/admin

I may consider doing the NA cam if I can come across a good one. I'm thinking this summer will be it for the engine. It has a decent amount of blow by and the way I run it I think its going to be time for a rebuild by fall. It appears to have been decently taken care of, but there obviously is some piston ring wear. Yes putting the power to the ground makes quite a difference! I can't wait to take it to the track. I have to actually turn down the boost controller as I can now make 25lbs of boost in 2nd gear where before the best I could do was right at 20! I wish I could have had this done last summer!

Jason

Old 04-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Awesome! Can't wait to see videos!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
I've recently aquired an M47 real 5 speed. Then I can move forwards to install the O.D unit to the rear axl for a Sixth gear!
What an awesome idea! A 5-speed with a OD unit for a sixth gear. Slobodon, when you do this modification, please post up the details and impressions when in use!

Also, Jason, nice work! Keep pushing the performance envelope of the D24T in North America!

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Old 04-07-2010, 02:34 AM

Hi Jason,

Congratulations...You are Always improving...tell me! now crusing at 100mph wich RPM are on the clocks ?

Best Regards,

Pedro
Old 04-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Owner/admin

With my car still having the auto rear end gearing (shorter than the the gearing that comes in a m46 car) I'm running about 3100 rpm at 70 mph. I havn't payed attention to see what kind of rpms I'm running at 100.... I don't normally cruise along that fast! I'm thinking of getting some taller tires for the rear to help gear it up a little. Nothing over the top, but it has the power i think to take advantage of a slightly taller rear end ratio. I would just go faster in each gear... Between the short rear end, and the early steel case m46 the gearing is pretty short and close together, but man does it haul ass! My RPM drop between gear is 1-2 1300, 2-3 1100, 3-4 800. Pretty close ratio!

Jason

Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Yeah, the M46 has a very short first gear, even with a fairly tall rearend (I think my car has a 3.54) mine rips through first pretty fast -- too fast to really be useful I think, I doubt it even builds full boost and you run out of revs almost immediately. Yours must be even more extreme, with more power and a shorter rear. I think these cars would benefit from having the tallest rearend possible installed. There is certainly enough torque to make use of taller gearing.

We might need another video now that you have the stick in.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Owner/admin

Default Jason's D24T@20lbs + M46 = GAME OVER for the M46 lol

Well, it didn't even last a week. I took it for its first drive friday night, but it was raining so I couldn't even get on it. I blew up the trans tonight. Third gear is blown out. I don't have 1st 2nd or 3rd, or reverse. I limped to a friends house in 4th gear. I'll go get it with the truck and trailer tomorrow... I knew it was going to blow up but geeze! I figured I would at least get a summer worth of abuse out of it! I'm not THAT hard on it..lol At least my buddy I was taking for a ride was impressed. He thought it felt like a 14 sec car or so... Thats good to hear at least.

I don't know whats next for it, this is just supposed to be a fun project/daily driver thing. I don't want to spend lots on it, I have a race car that is actually fast that I would rather buy stuff for when things get expensive. Just the same, I gotta get something in there that will at least hold the current level of power, it was just starting to get really fun to drive! I hear of guys over on Tbricks making 200hp and the M46s hold up fine to that. I guess the diesel torque killed it. That 6 puck clutch wasn't screwing around either, talk about grab! It must be making some decent power anyway. I'm going to do some research, but from what I had come across, the T-5 is the popular swap to do. I don't see a m46 or 47 holding up, and doubt I would be able to get ahold of a M90 since they are Europe only in the later cars. A T56 sure would be nice.... 6 gears to bang through man that would be cool, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone swaping one in place of a M46/47 though.

Jason

Old 04-08-2010, 04:59 AM

Vehicle: 83 245 D24T

Sorry to hear about the tranny. My M46 is pretty noisy but is hanging on with the NA motor. Keep us posted on your ideas or solutions. Im still agonizing over piston prices on my D24T engine but will probably bite the bullit soon to get it going. Im not looking for a hot rod though. I just want to go up hills on the highway and not have to down shift