D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to sdturbo
Default D24t Land Rover/glow plug/injector questions.

My name is Josh, I am new here but not to Volovs or diesels. I own Yoshifab which makes a bunch of aftermarket parts for red block volvos. My daily driver is a 245 with a 1.9TDI swap that I have been daily driving since 06.

My latest project is a D24T powered 97 Land Rover discovery. The motor is out of an 86 745 with 101k original miles. I got to see the motor start and run at the dismantler it came from and seemed to be in generally good repair. I have had the truck up and running for almost a week now. Still sorting through all the misc wiring getting all the lights to work, glow plugs to behave, and keep the alt charging. The list is getting shorter and I am starting to come up with some questions.

1. It seems that the glow plugs stay on for about 30 seconds under any conditions. From what I understand they are supposed to shut off once the engine is running. How does the glow plug relay know the engine is running?

2. I was seeing only about 8psi of boost. I decided to remove the egr and over boost valve and run 12v to the alt compensator and it went up to about 10. Still seems rather laggy, anything else I should check?

3. My number one injector is blowing fuel bubbles out of the base. Is this a common problem? I assume its just a seal but never really seen anything like that before.

Trying to get this thing running as best I can before I do stage zero and turn the fuel up. Seems to run nice and while it is on a heavy ass 4wd truck it does seem like it runs out of steam pretty quick. I can manage 60mph on flat ground but its work. Throttle seems to do nothing past 50%.

I have new conti belts and all the tools to set timing. I am looking for some new nozzles and shims to service the injectors. Bosch nozzles seem to be crazy cheap but I read here that monarks are the way to go. Only issue is I cannot find anyone that sells them. I have emailed the contact posted here and got no love. Any suggestions?