D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2013, 08:13 AM

Default D24Tic to D24T?

Hi all, new-bee on the engine front, I am about to give my 89 TD 716K Pinz (P80) some needed TLC, and I thought I rebuild a new one and swap the engine on it.

I am having a hard time locating a D24T but have found a faired priced D24TIC engine that I was hoping to freshen up. I have seen all the cool conversions on the Pinz to ad an intercooler, but I am not thinking of going this route, hopefully I can just remove the Intercooler and keep the engine a Turbo only.

I would like to know if this is possible and if so, where can I find some reference material to read-up on and follow through on this conversion? (I hope the gurus can shed some light on this....

So far, from what I have gathered, I can use the engine as it will couple just fine to my ZF transmission, but if there are any gotchas, I would like to know about them.

I will create a post n my efforts and share my findings provided I get a consensus to go ahead... I had some local feedback, but would like more form a greater audience.

BTW, where can I get technical material on the D24T and parts list?
Thanks!

JM
Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Just reuse your existing manifolds, and you are 90% of the way there.
You will probably run a little hot if you don't turn down the fuel screw on the TIC pump with no IC. The only other substantial difference I know of, at least int eh cars... T cars use an air preheater to supply the engine a steady 100F or so, but TIC cars don't have that. I ditched the thing on my T engine anyway, so at least it runs strong on cold days.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
You will probably run a little hot if you don't turn down the fuel screw on the TIC pump with no IC. The only other substantial difference I know of, at least int eh cars...
Thanks!

Yes, I pondered that there would be some temperature issues, but without any technical reference on these engines, I am just guessing at what to consider for this project.

Can I just take to block and rebuild from the T engine? I have a new turbo and a new BOSH pump for the T, so that could get me there even quicker? I can get the injectors if they are compatible with the TiC engine and the pump looks to fit or are they the same?
Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

The pump and injectors have different part numbers, but in the real world, you won't be able to tell the difference. The intercooler itself is what gives the TIC the extra kick, and adding one is probably the single best mod you cold do.
Consider this, in the US, and i beleive also Europe, there is no diesel passenger vehicle on the market which does not have both a turbocharger, and an intercooler.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:05 AM

Yup, I agree with the IC, just the Pinz is a already tricky to cool and getting a IC mounted seems like a major challenge.... I will give it a second look to see it its feasible, considering many comments.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

There are a few Pinzgauer members around here you might want to try getting in contact with. Member "Hecklebone" has one that he successfully added an intercooler to but it was not easy; he used an intake manifold off a NA D24 and a water-to-air intercooler with a remote mounted radiator and separate coolant system and electric pump. Lots of intricate tubing bends to get everything to fit together under the engine covers and needed modifications IIRC to the air inlet path from the filter and relocating the transmission cooler lines. I have seen it in person and it is a tight squeeze, but it can be done. His thread here: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=930 Look towards the end for IC install, the first part was about redoing his engine after a valve-piston collison. I am sure he would be glad to provide further details about IC installation.

Haven't heard what the performance difference is yet but running an IC gets you more oxygen at the same boost level and also lets you turn the boost up further before you start hurting stuff, so it's pretty big part of any plan for adding power.

Hecklebone also managed to get hold of the complete set of factory Pinz TD manuals. They are amazingly detailed and very cool to look at but IIRC the story was that there is one company in Europe that distributes them and they are not cheap. 95% of what you would need to know about the engine could be found in a Volvo "greenbook" for the D24T, which are fairly easy to get and most of the important sections of which can be read online.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:54 AM

Great set of info... I'm just ordering the volvo manual.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 AM

Still looking for the manuals... cant seem to find a source where to get them.

Anyone have a documented procedure needed to run the TiC engine without the IC?

I'd like to go that route... vs getting a new head and finding tons of stuff wrong with my engine.

Tags
d24tic conversion d24t