D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Default N/A cyclinder head

Hi, i am going to change the headgasket on my d24t engine,it is leaking oil and i want to turn the boost up so i think a new gasket is the best way to go.I have a complete d24 non turbo engine,i was going to rebuild the head and do a straight swap,can that be done?also my d24t has the bucket and shim tapets the non-turbo head has the hydraulic tapets does that make a differance?On the back of the n/a head there is the same coolant hole that is on the turbo head is that right.If it can be done is there some things i need to change? Are the valves the same for both engines.Could someone let me know the differance between the two heads if any.
Thanks
Old 06-06-2012, 02:53 AM

Vehicle: 245 d24 NA

Hi.

NA head camshafts have ,according to members here, wich made the measures, more opening duration : 2 degrees i think and sooner.
not change on lift if i'm right.

900 heads have a combustion chamber while 200 and 700 heads are flat. so bigger compression ratio in absolute.

but less efficiency in gaz transfer in my opinion.

700 tic have tappets from factory.
i think it's following the year.

hydraulic lifters are more comfortable, less noisy and maintenance free BUT you loose a bit in valve lift.
tappets are better in performance if you keep a minimum of gap between the camshaft and the tappet you will have maximum possible lift.

i guess you mean the nipple for the coolant hose ?

so yes the na have a nipple in the head the turbos in the block. just plug one of them. or use the two with a Y adaptor : it's better for the head to have a constant coolant flow at the back of it where it's the hotter and the more far of the water pump.

i suggest you to install an oil /coolant cooler if you don't have one. like in the 700 series.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks for your reply,yes I have a air/oil cooler setup,my engine is from a 940 ,I think it was a 1992 engine,my car is a 74O.The n/a head is from a vw lt35 truck not sure the year, it has the combustion cambers as well.Also between the valve seats there are small cracks, is that still ok?So you are saying the turbo head I have would be better than the n/a head for performance,what about changing the camshaft on the heads would that be an idea?
Thanks