D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 08-18-2014, 07:10 AM

Vehicle: Volvo 965
Default Oil filter adapter?

Got this 745 B230FB daily driver, and the car is really begging for a +T. I'll probably do it, the ghetto way, of course.

In order to minimize the costs, I'm thinking of using a spare D24TIC turbo (on a custom set manifold, top mount, using stock N/A headers, as an FT manifold is impossible to find here) and for oil feed, use the filter adapter off a D24TIC, together with the oil cooler?

Did anyone ever do it? Will the adapter bolt to the B230, will it have clearence issues with the N/A manifold?

Figured I'd ask it here, since most of guys here have also had experience with B230's...
Old 08-19-2014, 08:49 AM

It's possible, but you'll be doing a lot more work for a less reliable car than if you can obtain the already well engineered factory parts designed for turbocharging that motor. In particular, homemade turbo exhaust manifolds are usually extremely short lived compared to well made stock cast iron ones, and only practical on race cars.

Is it that hard to find a gas turbo junkyard car over there? Maybe you could get one shipped from elsewhere? Over here (california) I was trying to sell a perfect condition TD04 turbo plus uncracked 90+ manifold online for years, and finally had to give it away free just last week on Turbobricks.

The engine probably won't run well without getting many of the other parts from a Turbo, including the fuel computer which enriches under boost to avoid predetonation.

The D24T turbo would work on a gas car, but it won't last too long as it's not a water cooled turbo, plus you'll not be able to run less than the default wastegate setting of 10-11psi.

Last edited by casioqv; 08-19-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:53 AM

Vehicle: Volvo 965

No, really, if I could buy a turbo car, I would. I go around buying 700/900 cars anyway, I buy almost every car that comes up in the classifieds, especially parts cars, but I've only come across one turbo car for sale (the B204FT car i drove for a while), if we don't count 2 or 3 740T's that were way, way overpriced and didn't ever sell. And they were in poor condition anyway.

Shipping is also not an option. I go 100-200 miles to pick up cars anyway, get parts shipped from and to all over the country, as well as neighboring countries, but there is nothing turbocharged that close. And shipping from Austria, Germany, Netherlands, USA, and so forth would exceed any reasonable budget.

Manifold would be solid enough, don't worry.

Turbo LH and EZK EEPROM's are a must, of course, as well as injectors, anything else would be pointless, I know.

As for the wastegate, it's a generic actuator, swapping it would be a no-brainer.

Thanks for your reply.