D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 AM

Smile Hello from Argentina

Hi, my name is Frank. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I'm 26 and studying Industrial Engineering.
Now, to the volvos...
I have a 740 GLE, 1988, ZF-4HP22 D24T, dark grey, black leather interior, sun roof (manual) and a couple more things, not full full thought. with 350.000km (about 215.000miles)
My dad has a 1986 740 GL, D24, M46, red, with beige interior. The basic model.
the odometer stoped working so I really don't know how many miles it has. But, I guess, about 700.000km would be a reasonable guess...
The engine has been re-made about 3 times, the last one because I accidentaly introduced the car in deep ditch on a poudering storm, with full throttle and... you guess it, water came in the cylinder and blown away a couple pistons, made a hole in the block and a piece of the first connecting rod blew away the carter and I pick it up from the floor with the engine still running!! not jocking!!! it was hot and I couldn't understand where it came from.. jajaja. (PD: I was with about 10 friends in the car with the music loud and I didn't actually realized of the loud bang it made).
Anyway I fixed the car with my dad and it is still running. I keep the relics from the incident. I will post some pictures later on.

My dad and I happen to love working on cars, actually... volvos diesel, we have several green books and almost all the tools needed for the engine. My dad actually took measures from the originals in a local dealer and made his own (since it isn't cheap down hear in Argentina to get does tools...) I haven't took neither of the cars ever to a mechanic, only to change a wheel or something like that. Great cars, great engines.

Well, I hope I haven't bored you... much
Sorry for any miss-spelling.
Goodbye, Frank
Old 03-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Hello Frank, here one from Spain.
Do you have pictures of your cars?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 PM

hi frank,

that's crazy that you blew up the engine and managed to fix it! and that you fit damn near a dozen people in your car!