D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Dunno about that, OM606 is pretty long and heavy; they suck to work on too, esp after the return lines start to leak fuel into the injector wells or when you have to pull the intake manifold off to do almost anything on the LH side of the motor. Don't think there would be much that is "easy" about dropping one of those in... 4cyl VW would not be bad, there was a guy on TB that put an AHU TDI into a 245 and I don't think it was a big deal, just not a bolt-in, since BH is different. I think he used a Toyota trans and an adapter.

An Audi five would not be bad, back of it should bolt together, parts in front probably bolt on to the block and head, suspect mounts would be only big difference. Euro 2.5 TDI would probably be most straightforward way to get something more modern and capable of higher output in there, structurally very similar to the older six.

Of course a D24T would be the easiest of all, cheapest, and nicest to listen to... way better fit than a POS Benz lump, and for what it would cost to even get a stock 606 in there, you could have a D24 turned up more than enough to outrun it anyway...
Yeah, sure, a freshly built, heavily modified D24T can probably outrun a bone stock, tired OM606 I can get from a boneyard for $300... but for alot more money, and it'll be at the maximum performance it's capable of, while the OM606 can only go higher.

I'd prefer to buy a factory turbodiesel, but if I'm going to convert a gasoline 700/900 I might as well go big, and the boneyard OM606 I get would probably live on an engine stand for awhile while I rebuild it (which I'd probably have to do with the D24T anyway.)

Last edited by deimos; 09-28-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

Deimos,

Whichever route you take in re-powering your Volvo I'm sure it will be a cool experience. Please keep us in the loop whatever you decide. We're all automotive enthusiasts in here.

George is right, I too recall a guy in the TDI Club Forum putting an ALH-spec TDi 4-cylinder into a 245 with a 5-speed transmission. It is a real slick conversion, I believe that car and owner are in California.

I'm not interested in manufacturer or brand warfare. You're asking about re-powering your Volvo with a diesel engine on a Volvo Diesel Forum. I would expect people to chime in with a D24T suggestion. If you don't want to utilize the factory route please feel free to try something different. I for one would like to put an Isuzu 4BD1-T into a FZJ-80 series Toyota Land Cruiser. Yes there are factory diesels (in ROTW) but I think that Isuzu is the bees knees!

Keep us updated on your project!

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Old 09-28-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg View Post
Deimos,

Whichever route you take in re-powering your Volvo I'm sure it will be a cool experience. Please keep us in the loop whatever you decide. We're all automotive enthusiasts in here.

George is right, I too recall a guy in the TDI Club Forum putting an ALH-spec TDi 4-cylinder into a 245 with a 5-speed transmission. It is a real slick conversion, I believe that car and owner are in California.

I'm not interested in manufacturer or brand warfare. You're asking about re-powering your Volvo with a diesel engine on a Volvo Diesel Forum. I would expect people to chime in with a D24T suggestion. If you don't want to utilize the factory route please feel free to try something different. I for one would like to put an Isuzu 4BD1-T into a FZJ-80 series Toyota Land Cruiser. Yes there are factory diesels (in ROTW) but I think that Isuzu is the bees knees!

Keep us updated on your project!
I certainly will start a thread to keep everyone here in the loop... once I either find a factory diesel to play with or give up on that and get a dirt cheap gas burner to gut.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Supporting Member

Hmm.. How about a 4bd1t/t56 Volvo? I have seriously thought about it. Sure it would be a little nose heavy but having 280 hp/ 500+ ft lbs torque with nothing more then a better turbo and intercooler ( and the turn the screw mod on the pump...)

OM606 would be cool, 24valve inline. The cost of getting the pump to fuel more then 180hp is $$$ though, and the front sump oil pan. But at least there's an adapter to bolt it to a gm transmission.

But the easiest diesel option for a Volvo is the d24t, some head work, nice turbo, intercooler, pump adjustments and you have 220hp and a 5200rpm motor.
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 09-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
Hmm.. How about a 4bd1t/t56 Volvo? I have seriously thought about it. Sure it would be a little nose heavy but having 280 hp/ 500+ ft lbs torque with nothing more then a better turbo and intercooler ( and the turn the screw mod on the pump...)
Man, wouldn't that be something. I've thought about getting one of those old GM 5.7 diesel wagons from the 80's and putting a 4BD1T in there. That would be a neat rig, of course the Volvo with that engine would be wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
OM606 would be cool, 24valve inline. The cost of getting the pump to fuel more then 180hp is $$$ though, and the front sump oil pan. But at least there's an adapter to bolt it to a gm transmission.
I too think the 24-valve '606 with a Myna pump from an OM603 would be very cool. If I ever got myself an 80's era G-Wagen I'd have to have that engine and injection combination in it!

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Old 09-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

There was a guy on Brickboard who had a 740 with a 6.2 in it, said it killed it on the highway, and MN has a lot of long straight roads.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Default Buy or convert.

Hello there. I just purchased an 89' 740 Turbo Wagon. The mechanic I bought it from installed a D2.4T engine and I bought it from him. I am looking into running a 2 tank WVO system as diesel here is creeping up on $1.45 per litre in the larger cities. I have 150 gallons of WVO and I am looking into having a shop that does the "Plant Drive" conversions. I have most of the components needed for the conversion and I am hopeful it will work out. Nice engine and pretty economical on fuel. Regards.

Last edited by Oilburner73; 11-08-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-08-2013, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

I've installed a few kits, and came to the conclusion most of them are not even automotive grade. I go to the hydraulic shop, and spend another $200 on quality fittings. Really, in most cases, you'd be better off spending the money at Summit Racing than any kit I've yet seen.

I got a 15-20 gal aluminum marine tank in my tire well, aced the oil-water cooler, and used those lines for my tank and fuel line heat, closed loop return with manual valves for purge/bleed. Simple and 100% reliable.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:41 AM

Default WVO System

Hello there. Yes I have been looking at the Burnveg site and came to recognize the value of the exact system you mentioned. I purchased my components recommended through McMaster Carr and Iboats for the two 3 way valves with the long stems. I am contemplating having a shop plumb in the connections and filters as I have not decided if I may do the conversion myself. Thank you for the feedback.

Tags
beginner, conversion, gasser, monterey