D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 AM

Default Fuel Screw - revs rising

How do you guys turn your fuel screw up without your revs rising too high?

Mine still has the collar on, and has been turned in about 1 full turn from stock, and already it's idling at around 900rpm warm and the control lever on the top of the pump isn't actually touching the idle adjustment screw.

Cold start isn't interfering either - because it siezed on so it's in a box in the garage for now!!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:38 AM

Hey.

Sounds like someone has build your pump towards a**. Since control lever should always be touching
idle adjustement screw when in idle.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Well, it used to but when I turned the pump up the idle needs to be reduced, which I can do to an extent, but it hits the bracket holding the kick down cable and hence doesn't touchthe idle screw anymore. What can I do if I was to turn the pump up further?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:13 AM

When your turned fuel screw so much you cant any more longer drop idle-revs from screw,
your either making unbeliavable amount of black smoke whole time ( and blowing head-gasket with
exessive heat ), or your pump is build wrong. When i had fuel screw turned uo so much i couldnt any more
drop revs from screw, it was pulling black smoke almost right away when i pulled gas pedal.
With original distributor head.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:43 AM

Right, figured this yesterday.

Looks like someone has had the top throttle spindle apart on the top and has it set too far round. I've moved it a few notches (it's like a spline) round clockwise. This means the actual throttle spindle of the pump now fueling less for the same throttle shaft position, so the idle is lower. I can then use the idle adjustment to increase the idle. And once I've cut off the collar on the fuel screw I can turn it in more, and I'll actually be able to reduce the idle after now.