D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 AM

Default HELP: Turbo rebuild (or do i have a Blow By Issue)

Hey all,

Started a thread a few days ago saying

"My standard turbo has been slowly consuming (and spraying over the engine bay) more and more engine oil and is beginning to get to the point where I think I should do something about it now, so what advice can people give me.

I'm in the uk and would be up for doing he rebuild myself if people think that's possible/cost effective, but if there's an easy swap or a refurb exchange item would be more cost effective then that's options if consider too.

Car is the one in my project thread in my signature and is running slightly increased fuelling and hopefully a sensible safe boost increase in the future also."

Now some more thinking has occurred and I'm thinking theres a worry i might have a blow by issue? I'm getting smokey vapour from the breather tube, and from the oil filler cap if opened, and the oil around the turbo on the chassis rail might be related to oil from the breather being sprayed out there? the engine has done about 230000 miles and never been rebuilt, i don't think the turbo has ever been changed either, and I thought the bottom end was in reasonable condition. I'm running with a little less advance than ideal and it still warm starts with no plugs within half a second or so of cranking, hot starts on the first cylinder to fire and cold starts after glow plugs the same. Could the turbo be causing pressure in the crankcase through seal failure or do I have ring issues?

Help appreciated.

Look forward to your advice.

Richard

Last edited by raw; 08-18-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 AM

How much oil does it burn? It sounds like you probably do have worn rings. Apparently the D24T turbo doesn't really lose oil itself when it gets older as there's no seal, there is a channel just outside the bearings that drains into the oil pan.

Some smokey vapor from the oil filler cap hole is normal even on a new engine, but it shouldn't be billowing hard, spraying oil out, or throwing the cap off if it's set in place without tightening at idle.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:42 AM

It has a little gentle vapour while running, with the cap totally off there's probably a spot of oil every few seconds but not spewing it out and the cap barely lifts at idle. I don't have so much pressure as to have loads of leaks like my b200e did, only a slight weep from the front cam seal. I didn't think I had a bad ring issue but now I'm not so sure. Strange the way it never did any then suddenly started about 1200 miles ago! Also the dipstick doesn't lift itself like my old petrol engine did but I don't know of d24s do this?

I wonder if perhaps my oil has deteriorated and thinned after 7000 miles. I hoped with decent semi-synth I'd last 10000 seeing as dino oil should do 6000 apparently!

Richard

Last edited by raw; 08-20-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:59 AM

When I first got the engine it burned a little oil, until I serviced it and from then on it hasn't used any until about 1200iles ago, since which I've added maybe a litre.

Richard