D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 07-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Default 1983 760 d24t white smoke

hello i have a 1983 760gle d24t lots of white smoke i think it might be the turbo i just got the car i dont have any manuals yet can anyone tell me what turbo this car uses thanks, john
Old 07-28-2009, 07:24 PM

Oil cooled Garret T03.
White smoke is.. well check coolant level, if it decreases i get 10 points anbd a parrot mark, some aidiot has overheated it and now it eats coolant to dinner..
According to writings on turbobricks you US people are very good destryoing these engines... No offence.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Owner/admin

It could be a number of things... Does it smoke white all the time? White smoke when its cold is normal. After its hot, it may haze just a little as it is a IDI engine and they are not as clean burning as the newer direct injected diesels. Retarded ignition timing will cause more smoke as well. It could be the turbo, check for shaft play. If you can see it move quite a bit, or it has end play, its toast. A good swap if you are just looking to stay stock would be a straight T-3. The stocker has a crappy waste gated exhaust housing design, and the compressor wheel is not a very efficient design compaired to newer T-3 turbos. Also change the oil if you are not sure what is in it. Oil thats too thin or diluted will blow past the rings and valve guides, and burn as white smoke.

As said above, drive for a little bit and check the coolant level to see if its going down.

Does it have power or is it sluggish? Check some of these things and let us know what you find.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

I had a customer who bought N/A Volvo 240 diesel that put out white smoke on start up, and when cruising down the hiway sometimes. It turned out to be a bad injector. During warm up if you revved it up and then let it resume idle, it would make a knocking or slapping sound for a little bit then go away. Well, that one injector was causing all this havoc, Even causing it to lack power, and get hot while under decent engine loads.