D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Default D24/D24T Parts info wanted

Hello all, (new to this forum, I also put in a hello in the intro section), looking for a parts book for the VW D24 series - on-line maybe a PDF file? I'll explain below:

So I've been interested in the D24T as a possible engine swap candidate, I've noted it had the Audi transmission bolt pattern. Can any of you tell me if VW used the same (manual trans) flywheel on the D24 and the D24T, would it be the same on the Audi 5 cyl, and the 4 cyl 2.0L used in the Porche 924. Better yet, is there an on-line source for part numbers for these flywheels? I have this $100 Porsche 924 - great body - engine is all apart and bits are missing. An early 924 with a D24T in it would be fun and a bit ... well ... warped. The original Audi 2.0L only put out 95hp so it shouldn't be any slower.

I had also considered using the D24T in my Range Rover - it is done in Europe - my Rover uses the same ZF22 automatic as the 740. I had noticed some discussion here about the ZF unit, a great resource is <http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/> they build a ZF22 with the upgraded guts of the ZF24 which should take 300+ hp and stay together. Their website has a lot of ZF22/24 info too. I'm leaning toward the Mercedes 3.0L OM617.952 turbo diesel for the Rover at the moment - its more powerful and I have one in hand. The D24T became interesting again when I had to rescue this 924 from my neighbors yard. But, I don't have a D24T in hand either.

The other issue I'm wondering about - the VW diesel Vanagon and the Porsche 924 both tilt this engine block at about 45 degrees - any thoughts on tilting the D24 that much - oil pickup and sump changes are a given. Again, part numbers would be useful in working this out too.

Thanks, cool new forum by the way, Jon
2004 Prius (my wife the practical one)
plus assorted VW's and a MB 300D - future projects?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Owner/admin

Hello Jon,
I can answer a few questions for you. The flywheels between the turbo and non turbo should be the same. As for the mounting angle, the non turbo D24 was mounted off angle to fit in the smaller 240 series cars, while the D24T was straight. There are different oil pans from what I understand, but I dont have any idea what the part number would be. Same goes for the flywheel, it would probably be easier and cheaper to buy a used one. As for the bolt pattern, it shares the same pattern as the 5 cylinder diesel... I have never heard anything about them being the same as the gas engine. Also, the imput shaft of the trans in the porsche may not be the correct sline count, depth, diameter, etc. to work with the diesel clutch. It may be easier to use a volvo trans like a M46 or 47. The difference in mounting angle is in the bellhousing, so depending on how the engine fits, you can do it straight or angled.

Try to start with a turbo engine, they are much more robust. The block is a stronger alloy, they have piston oil squirters, an oil cooler, and tended to have a longer life (if you going to bolt it in used) thanks to cleaner burning with the turbo. The non turbo engines sooted up the ringlands badly.

Good luck finding parts, I read in your intro post your in the midwest... I'm in St.Louis and it took me a year and a half to find a diesel volvo. I have never seen one or parts for one anywhere around where I live. My car came from Nebraska, I had to meet the guy in Kansas city to pick it up.

I don't know of any PDF files to download as far as manuals are concerned. The factory shop manuals are still available, they are called the green books. Finding them used is possible, and they are still available new: https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....dRow=20&page=1

If you go through the few pages of manuals, you will see different D24T manuals mixed in.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 AM

K-Jet has some green book scans available for the N/A D24 and D20: http://www.k-jet.org/documents/greenbooks/200-series/

Some pages are duplicated, but if you're patient enough you can sort through them and figure it out.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 PM

I have the Vadis software which has parts info for the D24T, but it's kind of clunky to use. I can find a part number for a given part fairly easily, but it's not easy to find what else it fits or anything. Let me know if that helps.

As far as clocking the motor that far, the only problem I can see is whether the oil can still drain properly to the pan without pooling too much. Aside from the obvious oil pick up and sump mods, of course.