D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 07-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to cuaz64
Default D24T "Perfomance" information

Hi, I made a little search about performance modifications for the D24T engine, here is what I found:

Tom Bryant's "Biggest Secrets"

quoted from Turbobricks.com
Quote:
Here are three "biggest secrets" to getting performance out of a D24T:
1. Use the thinnest head gasket you can get away with. Shoot for 0.019" piston to head clearance. I pushed one to 0.017" successfully, but that's the absolute minimum possible.
2. Use a D24 camshaft.
3. *MOST* important! Use an early D24 cylinder head, the type that had 11mm headbolts. Takes only minor modifications to fit a D24T. Those early D24 heads are like gold. If you find one, latch onto it and save it for just this purpose. Beg, borrow, or steal to get it. Don't take "no" for an answer.

After those three come a few other things:
4. Use the maximum over-bore of 1.00mm. I've considered having special pistons made to go to an even bigger bore, or to reduce the size of the indent in the top. Both are probably possible, and would have significant effect, but I haven't looked into it.
5. Raise the boost pressure. I'm working on that avenue now, and will soon have a turbo with an adjustable wastegate. Not adjustable on the road, but at least adjustable.
6. Go intercooled. The parts weren't available on this side of the pond, but I'll bet Bram could find some and ship them over. Or, one could cobble together a system using B230 parts, I suppose.
Intercooler setups

A. Volvo D24TIC intercooler setup:

B. Turbocharged (and Intercooled) D24 engine.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...=diesel&page=3

D24TIC information

Factory intercooled version of the D24T, useful information to improve the engine: http://74.125.65.132/translate_c?hl=...SGHHRIA#D24TIC

Note please, this is Work in Progress thread, more info gonna be added soon. Good luck!