D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Owner/admin

Default How much boost are you running with factory headbolts/gasket

Hi folks,
just wanting to get some imput on what kind of boost levels you are running with stock headbolts. Is there anyone out there that has installed a set of ARP studs? I know this is a popular mod on the 1.6 vw diesels (which I have had) and they run pretty good boost 15+lbs with thet stock gasket. You can upgrade the head gasket to the metal TDI one for the 1.6, is there a better gasket than stock for the D24T?

I'm thinking 15lbs with an intercooler and bigger exhaust... Too much?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to cuaz64

1. About the headbolt: I don't know if someby has update the stock headbolts.
2. Max boost with stock engine: I remember read about somebodoy runing 15PSI on with stock headgasket and Audi 5000 intercooler
3.The next step in headgaskets is the Volvo Stainless Steel headgasket
4. About intercoolers: I found the following options:
A) Volvo D24TIC intercooler: Was sold only in Europe, is basically the intercooler from a B230FT engine and a special manifold.
B)Saab 900 Intercooler: Small intercooler, ideal for be used with the stock (or NA D24) intake manifold.
C) Audi 5000: Already done (I gonna post the link later)
D) Cheap Ebay intercooler: Already done. (I gonna post the link later).
Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Owner/admin

Where do you go about getting the stainless version of the head gasket? I'm thinking ebay intercooler, though I have a intercooler from a Audi TDI in the garage that I scored of ebay for $30 that I may use if I can fit it somewhere.

I only know of stock replacement headbolts. If you want to upgrade, arp makes a head stud kit for the 1.6 vw diesels, you would just need 1 and a half sets...

Jason
Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to cuaz64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Where do you go about getting the stainless version of the head gasket? I'm thinking ebay intercooler, though I have a intercooler from a Audi TDI in the garage that I scored of ebay for $30 that I may use if I can fit it somewhere.

I only know of stock replacement headbolts. If you want to upgrade, arp makes a head stud kit for the 1.6 vw diesels, you would just need 1 and a half sets...

Jason
I think that is only a dealer part, Tom Bryant have the part number y know a few tricks to squeeze more power of the D24T. Also, the non-turbo D24 intake manifold supposedly have a better desing that improves the airflow, and makes easier the intercooler installation.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Owner/admin

Interesting, hopefully someone will post up a non ic manifold for sale! Suprising that the dealer can get a stainless head gasket for it.. I didn't think the dealer would have much of anything for the diesel engine.

I have modded a few vw diesels, and rebuilt my 85 jetta turbo diesel... I'm familiar with the pump mods and such for more fuel. Not so sure how the auto trans will handle the power though!

Jason
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

You don't need that N/A manifold. Just reclock the comp housing away from the motor and use two 90 degree angle silicone couplers, and then piping to the IC. Easy. I even used the 240/740 turbo intercooler flipped upside down and way up front behind the grille. perfect on the 240. however, I am using the EGR Non-IC manifold. I like how this manifold is small and compact plus has the over boost valve.
I am run 12psi and when revving out it will overboost and the valve drops the psi down to 8.. hmm.. I need a stiffer spring.

Also not using the stock turbo compressor. I fount a HT182s. I think its .60 A/R... came from the RX-7 turbo II. slapped that on the stock centre and turbine which is .36 A/R. hmm... I have been thinking that I want to get the Turbine housing and wheel from a Mercedes 300TurboDiesel. I believe they have .48 A/R.

My belief is that while cruising at 65 ~ 70mph boost will be lower like 1 - 2 psi rather than 4 - 6psi currently.

i should note that I have stock downpipe that is coupled to a 3" side exit.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:24 AM
Owner/admin

Doing the two 90 elbows was what my plan was originally... Why haven't you just blocked off the overboost dump valve? That was one of the first things I did on my jetta TD. That was dumping boost by about 8lbs and leaked just about all the time from what I could tell. Interesting idea on the turbo setup. I wonder what other compressor and turbine housings will swap over. What kind of rpm are you running on the highway? My jetta always ran about 4 or 5lbs of boost cruising around 3000rpm. I'm guessing your boost while cruising was less with the original compressor housing? What kind of difference did you notice with the bigger housing compaired to stock?

Lots of questions i know.. I'm excited that we have a forum starting up here with people that want to talk about and tinker with these cars!

Jason
Old 06-16-2009, 04:27 AM
Owner/admin

By the way if you have any videos of your side pipe I would love to see and hear it!

Jason
Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

No video yet.
Originally with the stock setup and non intercooled it would cruise ~ 3000 rpms around 68 to 70 mph at 5 psi. when I added the Audi 5000 intercooled (which is now 240 intercooler - which dropped it a little) It dropped by 2 psi then I put on the bigger compressor. then it went back up. but it had so much more power and torque. I noticed that the compressor wheel was bigger by 1/16th an inch in diameter. and the compressor outlet had a bigger inner diameter aswell. The final turbo configuration I am looking to build is a .48 T3 waste gated turbine with a T4 .50 a/r compressor. I have most of that all ready just need a good T4 backing plate for the compressor.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 AM

You will incur great losses with one tight radius (I am assuming due to the location) 90 degee bend, and even more with two, especially since the opening for the manifold is not that large. It will get you up and running quickly, however.

The d24t manifold is nice and compact, and I might suggest that if you use it, remove the overboost valve and in its place fit a 2.5 minimum diameter short straight pipe, or a gentle 90 degree pipe if you need it, via welding or another suitable method. It will be far more efficient, and you will gain both power and fuel economy.

Interesting choice with the FC Hitachi turbo. In general, that turbo is designed to deal with a lot of exhaust products, and on the compressor side, move a lot of air, efficiently at low boost pressure. It is sort of at the opposite end of the scale in terms of engine requirements as compared to a diesel which is on the other end of the scale.

It may however, be quite good if you can fit it with a larger, t4 based compressor in the .50 - .60 A/R range, given it's good exhaust flow.

How does it respond/spool up, and if you kept other things equal (boost, pump, etc.) the the power increase, or shift to a higher rpm range?