D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 08-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Owner/admin

Well, my main question is this: what did you use for a valve to switch between fuel sources and where did you get it? What kind of difference have you noticed when running straight veg oil as far as mileage and performance are concerned?

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Owner/admin

Any other insight or tips you have would be great too. I have the filtration system already set up and working, and have started filtering oil already. I have a source of water free pretty clean oil from the local happy wok, I get 5 gallons a week, so I thought I would start collecting and filtering ahead of time.

Jason

Old 08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Ya too bad the volvo didn't come with dual tanks to begin with!

Jason
I too echo your thoughts Jason. I do see in my Vadis software a section for an additional fuel tank system. I could take a screen shot if anyone wanted to see it.

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Any other insight or tips you have would be great too. I have the filtration system already set up and working, and have started filtering oil already. I have a source of water free pretty clean oil from the local happy wok, I get 5 gallons a week, so I thought I would start collecting and filtering ahead of time.

Jason
OK well...

First off, I believe that proper filtering and dewatering is half of the conversion.

I pick up in 5 gallon buckets or oil jugs, screen through a 400-200-100 micron bucket screen. Put in 55 gallon drum where I heat to 150 and then let SLOWLY cool over a period of days, settle for as long as I can, like a couple of weeks. Hot pan test for water, then gravity filter into a second drum through 50-25-10-5 micron bags. Then pump into cubies for storage and portable filling.

My car is a two tank conversion. I have a hot fox in the tank, coolant heated jacket for the veg only veg filter, hose-on-hose (dont trust HIH) run in the drainage channel under the drivers side doors so the hose is not exposed to the outside at all, arctic fox FPHE in the engine bay, Vegtherm in the engine bay run on a separate switch so I can turn it on and off as I feel needed.
My weak spot is the valve. I have a 6 port pollack but that does return a tiny bit of veg to the diesel tank on every switch back to diesel so I run the diesel tank almost empty every now and again to purge it and I keep it nice and full of Diesel in the NY winters. I have two 3 way switches from greasecar ready to go in if I find the time to fix this issue. I have been running it for 2 years this way but it should be changed some day.

Car does great, I currently have 1128 miles on only half a tank of diesel being used

Steve
Old 08-08-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Well, my main question is this: what did you use for a valve to switch between fuel sources and where did you get it? What kind of difference have you noticed when running straight veg oil as far as mileage and performance are concerned?

Jason

Sorry, I didnt really answer these.

The 6 port came from Autozone but if I were you, get a couple of 3 ports so you dont have the veg-diesel pollution issue.

Also, I seem to see very similar mileage as with diesel and I dont notice a power diff at all but the wagon is pretty slow on the draw when compared to the TDI anyhow
Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Owner/admin

Thanks for the info! My oil is water free (thankfully) since they dump in right into 5 gallon pails and seal it for me right when its pumped out of the fryer while still hot. I have a two 55 gallon barrel system, with one barrel for settling and filtration, and the second barrel is the holding tank with barrel pump. I have a pump that circulates the oil through two filters to progressively filter it from 25 microns and then 5 microns. After settling its filtered for enough time to (hopefully) ensure all the oil has passed through the filters two or three times, then I switch a valve and it runs through the filters one final time and is dumped into the holding tank. On the final pass, I restrict the volume of oil after the pump so it goes through slowly, probably a gallon per minute or so.

What do you mean by 6 port or 3 port? Is that a switching valve autozone carries that is factory for some car?

Jason

Old 08-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! My oil is water free (thankfully) since they dump in right into 5 gallon pails and seal it for me right when its pumped out of the fryer while still hot. I have a two 55 gallon barrel system, with one barrel for settling and filtration, and the second barrel is the holding tank with barrel pump. I have a pump that circulates the oil through two filters to progressively filter it from 25 microns and then 5 microns. After settling its filtered for enough time to (hopefully) ensure all the oil has passed through the filters two or three times, then I switch a valve and it runs through the filters one final time and is dumped into the holding tank. On the final pass, I restrict the volume of oil after the pump so it goes through slowly, probably a gallon per minute or so.

What do you mean by 6 port or 3 port? Is that a switching valve autozone carries that is factory for some car?

Jason
OK well I do a hot pan test with each batch of oil just to make sure it is water free, it is easy and it gives me confidence.

I plan on buying a centrifuge for my filtering needs when I sell the Volvo, the TDI is a bit more picky and I dont want to risk anything. Properly running a centrifuge will take you down to 1 micron

As for valves, I have a diesel send and return at the valve, a veg send and return at the valve and a send and return to the IP. I have it all built into one valve, hence 6 ports.
What I will do to the TDI, and recommend (REALLY) is using two 3 ports valves. One will have the diesel send and veg send and hook to the IP in, the other will have the diesel return, veg return, and hook to the IP return. This way when you switch from veg back to diesel before you shut down, you can purge the return lines back to the veg tank for a few seconds until diesel gets to the veg tank. This assures that you dont empty the little bit of veg that is in the return lines on the injectors into the diesel tank. It is only a little bit but after a while, and in the cold, you will notice it.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I didnt make enough sense.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Owner/admin

That valving is how I wanted to set mine up, but what do the valves come from? As in are they fuel switching valves that are stock for another car? You said they came from autozone, what do you ask for? How are they switched? Is it a manual thing or are they electric?

Jason

Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
That valving is how I wanted to set mine up, but what do the valves come from? As in are they fuel switching valves that are stock for another car? You said they came from autozone, what do you ask for? How are they switched? Is it a manual thing or are they electric?

Jason
The 6 port came from Autozone, but again, dont use it.
The 2 3-ports came from greasecar.com, they are a much better quality and they dont allow for mixing in the diesel tank.

Both are electrically switched.

If you still want to know about the autozone 6 port, I think I can find the aprt number for you.

Steve
Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Owner/admin

I'll check out the grease car website. That will be about the only thing I would actually have to buy, everything else I will set up myself. Thanks for the info.

Jason