D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Default Some mod's to my 940 tic

My 940 is a 1995 estate with a LSD (locker) diff,
i have a few extra guages on
the centre consol to monitor the engine and auto box when towing heavy stuff. Gearbox oil temp (3 row gearbox oil cooler up front),
Engine oil tempature ( 3 row oil cooler up front)
Ammeter to monitor battery drain when the 50A 12v socket has the 240v inverter running a power tool,
Boost guage, it gets to 1.4 bar at max
.Fuel heater device , comes on at 2 deg c or less in the feed fuel line after the filter, just before the fule pump.
Oil pressure guage .engine is a real pinger with tremendous performance .

Under the hood we have a plugged waste gate, kenlow electric fan ( set to come on at 92Degrees c , it has only come on once when towing a 3.5 tonne flat bed truck at 50mph for around 10 miles to the recyclers.
Cone air filter, made no difference , just sounds cool.
And the unusual black filter on the firewall is a full flow bypass micro filter, it takes the oil surplus from the pressure swich and filters it really fine and drains back into a banjo on a modded sump plug.
There is also a secret lock out valve operated by key that when i turn it allows the car to run for 30 seconds or 100yards or so before the fuel in the line is gone and the would be theif can go no further !!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Owner/admin

Pretty cool stuff... If your pushing that much boost, you might thing about going to a larger turbo. If you don't have head studs or a mls gasket you are really pushing it! At that much boost the stock turbo has pretty high drive pressure. I like the bypass filter, I'm thinking about that when I rebuild my engine.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Pretty cool stuff... If your pushing that much boost, you might thing about going to a larger turbo. If you don't have head studs or a mls gasket you are really pushing it! At that much boost the stock turbo has pretty high drive pressure. I like the bypass filter, I'm thinking about that when I rebuild my engine.

Jason
Yeah, can't be sure how accurate that boost reading is, i'm going to swap it out for a volt guage and pod mount a new and hopefully accurate one on top of the dashboard.

The full flow micro filter is a good idea, however the company that made mine is now out of business so i will have to have an adaptor turned up at the machine shop to take a Mitsubishi 4x4 one thats easy to get. I will post the details when i have it done.

cheers fudge..
Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 AM

nice mods, how do you heat the fuel?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

What kind of transmission do you have? Is it the ZF automatic or were they using something else by 1995? My '85 and 86 D24T 740s have ZF autoboxes but I didn't know if they kept using them into the '90s.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalozf View Post
nice mods, how do you heat the fuel?
A small heater box on the fuel pipe just before the injector pump.
Made by a company called Waso, however i think they only make
car alarms now, when i worked as a diesel mechanic for the Royal Mail
in the 80's Waso security devices were standard on the vans.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
What kind of transmission do you have? Is it the ZF automatic or were they using something else by 1995? My '85 and 86 D24T 740s have ZF autoboxes but I didn't know if they kept using them into the '90s.
It's a ZF, i changed the diaphram on the box to lock up at 48mph (like the petrol cars) instead of 51mph. Better when you are on a average speed camera strech of motorway, as it used to shuffle back and forth at 50.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to cuaz64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Jason
The 940TIC came with a better stock turbo (adjustable wastegate and a slightly bigger exhaust A/R).
Old 11-06-2010, 01:20 PM

Hi Fudge im liking the box lock up upgrade must give that a try ,I agree on an `A` road they allways drive too slow for lock up to stay in wheres my Z F book.