D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Default Limits of d24Tic

We all love youtube videos with d24tics in no matter what chassis drifting and making turbo noises in Scandinavian roads, however what I wanted to know is what are the limits for the d24tic if you upgrade the power and still use it like your daily driver not some track toy or weekend warrior tool.

Are 180/200 bhp and 300 Nms achievable?

Do I need to upgrade the stock hardware (turbo, pump, noozles) for that?

Will the M46 cope with that torque?

Will the pistons and rods, block, head be up to the task?

Why do people change the d24t intake manifold for the n/a version? Is it less restrictive?

Thanks in advance

Diogo
Old 05-14-2015, 05:05 AM
Supporting Member

I have been running my car with the injection pump maxed with 25-30 lbs of boost for 70,000 miles.
I keep my EGT's low and my injection timing is at .95mm.
Overly advanced timing is killer on head gaskets, rods, pistons and rings.
It's said that the IP when maxed is able to support 200-220 hp.
The bottom end and block are very stout for 2.4 liters.

I'm not sure if the stock turbo will support what the IP can, the turbine housing is fairly small.
The M46 will and can hold up as long as there is not a bunch of clutch dumps and hard shifting. My clutch and overdrive are the weak spots in my drivetrain.

It's said that the NA manifold performs better, less restrictive on the upper RPM's.

There is a bit of room for improvement on the cylinder head ports, do a good gasket match and blend in the area behind the seats.

There is no reason that the d24t/ic can't live happily with a maxed IP for 250,000 plus miles. Good oil, keep EGT's In check, let warm up before driving hard, and don't overly advance the timing.
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience Anders.

I'm impressed with your setup, I'm planning on doing some mods but people over here always tell me that I'm crazy because according to them these engines tend to blow 1st and 6th piston because of bad lube or the head warps due to over heating anyway it's always heresay because my cousin owned loads of thses cars and never experienced any of this issues, last one was a 960 dtic wich he purchased with 800.000 kms on clock and sold it with 1.200.000...and according to the owner is still running

However and as I stated before, this is my daily ride and don't want to destroy it by being silly.

I know these cars can never be fast of the throttle like modern day common rails with vnts but wanted something a little more interesting.

Anders, shared your millage what about performance? Did you measured it? 0-60? 1/4 mille? Top speed?

Thanks in advance

Diogo
Old 05-15-2015, 02:16 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

ARVW was claimed to be 175 HP, that's the most I've heard from the factory, but I don't know if they were going for stock reliability.

As fro the M46, seems to me a lot of them break rolling into 3rd on higher torque cars. The main shaft pushes just a hair too far from the counter shaft and gear teeth go everywhere.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Jason, the guy who started this forum, IIRC broke the M46 he put in his 760 on the very first day. Forget what kind of power his motor was putting out but it was significant, enough to break pretty much everything behind it, he blew up a rearend too later on at some point - though he did have a major six puck clutch of some kind in it, which no doubt was part of the issue.

Nevertheless, worth noting that the ~200k mile ZF autobox he had in there before the M46 held up under the same kind of output for months or years...

Anders, you're running studs as well, no? The first weak point on these in general, increased power or not, is headgasket and engine cooling. I've never tried turning one up the way the big HP experts on here have, but my uneducated sense is that provided you're careful with timing, engine temps and EGT, and ensure it's breathing well both on the inlet and outlet sides, the margin is quite big and you can safely push it quite far. Studs and a fresh headgasket might be a good insurance policy, but if you're careful and you aren't romping on it all the time, you probably can do a lot even with the stock stuff.