D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Body and Interior

Old 08-30-2014, 06:17 AM

Default Headlight wiper wiring

Hello all.
I've just installed a pair of headlight wipers. Just finished the water tubing and it works just fine.
I've tested the wiper engines with a 12 volt battery and they both work.
Now I'm looking for a way to connect them. Headlight wipers should work when I press the wipers' stalk, together with the windshield wiper.
Both motors have a three cable chord: one is earth and the other two, well, positive and negative. But where to connect them?
I've found a three pin connector which is free behind each headlight. Should these be the ones to use, maybe pre-installed from factory, or should these be for any other thing?
Any help on these will be immensely welcome!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril View Post
Any help on these will be immensely welcome!
What do you drive? What year? etc... because wiring diagrams are nicely available on internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril View Post
Headlight wipers should work when I press the wipers' stalk, together with the windshield wiper.
Both motors have a three cable chord: one is earth and the other two, well, positive and negative. But where to connect them?
Can you have someone test by multimeter while doing that? IDK if this helps, but on a 240, there was no separate switch for headlight wipers, they simply went on `automatically` every time when/if windshield wiper+water spraying was ON at the same time. This is how they got messed up later on, because headlight wipers went too `low` , too high (due to missing `stopper`&some missing trim) but they were still being activated every time the driver activated windshield wipers with water... As far as I remember, headlight wipers were ONLY `ON` when windshield spraying happened... `OFF` when ws wipers were on without water. Also, every time the headlight wipers were switched on, water got sprayed onto them. Maybe it had been re-wired in such way but this is how they worked on mine.
http://www.borton.com/nlavolvo.html

Last edited by RedArrow; 08-30-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:16 PM

Thanks for your reply.
In fact, that's how they're meant to work.
I've checked my loose connectors behind the headlights and they are dead when I spray water on the windshield, so I guess they're there for other thing than headlight wipers ( fog-lights, perhaps?! although mine have another connection...)
By the way, I drive a '92 240 GL station wagon. 180.000Km on the clock and cobalt blue!
I've found a diagram on the net and apparently both wiper motors should have the earth connected directly to earth points on the inside of the front fender panels, while one of the cables goes to the intermittent wiper relay close to the fuse box, and the other one goes to the 2nd fuse.
Tomorrow I'm doing it, hope I'm not blowing the whole thing...
Old 08-30-2014, 01:19 PM

And by the way, I'm also missing those little stoppers beneath the wiper arms.
They're fixed by a metal clip under the headlight ensemble.
If anyone has them, and would care to sell, I'm a buyer!