D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Owner/admin

It got a new motor mount on the drivers side.. That one was pounded. As for the injection pump... That would have been a good idea if I would have read that a couple days ago, but the engine is in the car.. I can get to the injector though but its close!

That being said..... ITS ALIVE!!!

I got it started up last night for the first time after a two day long oil pressure debacle... It was really fighting me trying to get the oil system primed and build pressure before I started it. I had the injectors out, the rear end of the car jacked up as high as my jack would go, and the oil filter off and it would not pump any damn oil! I even added an extra quart of oil thinking the slightly higher level would help get it into the pump... No go. Ended up removing the oil relief plug on the pump and stuffing a hose and funel in there, and backfilling the pump and turning the engine over backwards by hand to suck some oil in to get it primed. I guess it just had a big air bubble it couldn't pump. The oil pump got installed a few months back now so I suspect the oil I dumped in when I assembled it had drained out and things were pretty dry. The engine sounds good, I still need to hook up the radiator, install belts, and figure out what happened to the vac pump... It took a crap for some reason. Its got no suction, and all I did was remove it off the old engine and bolt it on this one! I didn't drop it or anything like that. I'm gonna take it off and have a look inside it I guess. I didn't forget the pushrod before you ask! I'll have vid of it running here shortly, and some pics of it in the engine compartment... Man does it look clean! I spent about 4 hours on wiring and plumbing of vac lines, oil system etc.. I really didn't like how the engine harness was routed and wanted to show off the engine, so I rewired most of it, trimmed down the power steering pump lines, and vac lines that go to the hvac, cruise, etc and got that tucked up next to the fender a little tighter. End result is much cleaner. I got everything zip tied and routed, I just need to pick up some loom from work.

One other question... I found some extra wires in the harness that goes under the engine, and traced them up to the fender, to a plug, and down to some kind of sensor in the batt tray??? What is that? The wires were already cut inside the loom and I have no idea where they hooked up on the pass side of the engine.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Owner/admin

Here are some engine install progress pictures, and some close up pics of the engine now that its in. I took some closer in so you can see (or not see actually) all the engine wiring... Man I cant wait to start driving this thing.. Fresh clutch, a 5th gear that actually will shift in normally, AND.... wait for it.... COMPRESSION!!!!

Jason

I don't know if you can tell, but the volvo is smiling right now...

whats hiding under the hood in that volvo?? just an old junkbox volvo diesel.... its slow....

Hmm.. looks like I need to tighten up the fuel filter a little more so you can see the "CAT" logo.

no more wires/power steering hoses/vac crap everywhere!

Jason

Old 12-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Awesome build Jason- I love it! Your attention to detail is truly impressive; I especially love the small touches like the on block oil pressure gauge.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Owner/admin

Thanks,
that was a left over in the garage, and I always like a gauge to be able to watch it crank oil pressure to verify what its getting... The light comes on at what 10lbs? I like a little more specific info than that! I really let the OCD take hold on the build, once I started painting/cleaning/detailing I couldn't stop. I runs as good as it looks though, except for a little issue with how it runs when cold. I have yet to do a compression test, but I think a couple valves may be leaking. It has gotten better every day so I'm thinking they are seating in and will seal up fine. That being said, it runs freakin' awesome! The low end little to no boost power is night and day from before, even the sound of the engine is different. Much deeper and a little louder now. It really sounds like a dump truck pulling away if your standing behind it! No where near as much smoke driving around and under light acceleration... It can definently handle more fuel and boost! The old engine was drowning in the amount of fuel I was pushing that would clean up with 20lbs of boost. Once I get the 12mm head on the pump, we are really gonna see what this thing can do! I'm interested to see what it can do down the qtr once its fully broke in, it only has about 125 miles on it right now. I'm confident I'll be within my goal of a second quicker.

Jason

Old 12-03-2010, 03:26 PM

That is really neat! Great job!

Do you think a majority of the new sound and performance you are experiencing at the low end with no boost is due to the NA camshaft?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

So jealous! Congrats man! that looks amazing, and I am so happy to see such a clean and beautiful D24T!

Its getting me pumped up about doing something. I need to rebuild one of my D24T's and get it all perfect. So much fun you have there. Take lots of pictures/videos. Good work man.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Owner/admin

Thanks for the compliments.. As for the power and sound, I think it has more to do with the compression than anything. I haven't measured the stock TD cam to compair yet, but I have a feeling the cam difference is a old wives tale. The cam in the NA and turbo 1.6 engines was no different, I don't see why it would have been for the 2.4. I noticed an improvement with the NA manifold, but I had that on the other engine already. Really can tell that the head has some work though, the pump settings are the same, but the top end pull at about 3k up is unbelievable! Once its not 12 degrees, I'll get some new video!

Jason

Old 12-11-2010, 10:59 AM

WOW Jason!!

I wasn't been here a while...

What a nice job, totally awesome.
I think this is the most beautifull D24T ever seen!Just look at the details!The CAT-styling is perfectly done including the CAT-filter.
You combined best of both worlds.....
Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Owner/admin

Thanks! It has surpassed my expectations in how it runs... I cant believe how much cleaner it burns esecially off boost. Just no where near the amount of smoke. I can't wait to turn up the pump and boost to see what it can do. I still haven't removed the crimped on collar on the main fuel screw. Once it gets a few more miles on it and I switch over to synthetic oil, I'll be maxing the pump out and cranking up the boost however much it needs to clean up the fuel. She should scream then!

Jason

Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 PM

This night i had more time to read the complete story and i can tell you; i had exactly the same oil-pressure-problems with my overhauled D24TIC !!!!
Also unscrewed the pressurevalve and tried to bleed the airbubbels etc. etc. The D24 seems to be a problem-engine if it has to suck-up oil fot the first time......
Finally it was working for me too but it takes several hours to get that far.

Question;
I see a short water-pipe facing upwards from your thermostat-housing.What kind of water/coolant-hose will be connected to that pipe?
Maybe a parking-heater or so?I ask that because i am installing a parking-heater these days, so if there's a possibility to connect the heater i can remove my plug and install a pipe like your's to connect.(my D24TIC has a kind of freeze-plug in stead of a pipe....

About the wire's / function you are looking after; i really don't know, wish i could help you out.

(i wrote a little story about the parking-heater at the swedish forum because i expected more knowledge overthere about cold wheter solutions; http://forum.svenska200klubben.se/viewtopic.php?t=36255 )