D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage

Old 05-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Supporting Member

Interesting. Did you find the remains of the 2 broken oil squirters in the oil pan?
Old 05-13-2018, 01:36 PM

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Interesting. Did you find the remains of the 2 broken oil squirters in the oil pan?
No I didn't. lol

Few more progress, this time on the car. Stripped the interior to see the floors condition. A bit of work needed on the driver floor pan, but overall is clean and solid. There is rust under rear passenger door trim, but a friend gave me another door to replace it. Otherwise, I want to make this wagon my 'first' little camper and do road trips across the America. I will make a homemade interior and customize it over time.

At the same time, I would also like to replace the heater core but it seems a pain to do. Anyone know a good tutorial or have tips for me before I remove everything? lol

Last edited by volvo_d24t; 05-13-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_d24t View Post
I would also like to replace the heater core but it seems a pain to do. Anyone know a good tutorial or have tips for me before I remove everything? lol
Volvo 700/900 Heater Core Replacement

Don't forget the long 1/4" drive socket extensions for getting at those hidden screws on the top of the heater core box, LOL.

Might as well redo the flapper doors adhesive foam weatherstripping insulations while you are in there, LOL

Beware of "project creep." LOL
Old 05-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Looks like great progress on engine and the new head.

I saw broken piston squirters once before and that was on an engine where someone rebuilt it and used non-turbo pistons, which do not have the notches in the piston skirts to clear the squirters. The skirts had been (crudely) notched by hand with a file or Dremel tool, and on some of them the notches were not deep enough so they chopped the squirter nozzles off. They were found lying in the pan on that motor. The other squirters that had not broken off had dents from contact with the pistons. Any sign on yours (the intact ones) that something similar happened or evidence of "custom" piston modification?

If they broke off on yours a long time ago and the pieces were relatively small they might have found their way into the bottom of the sump and eventually came out during an oil change.

Replacement squirters aren't too hard to find, I may have a few floating around and Anders probably has many also. Definitely want to get six good ones in the engine.

Body looks pretty good for Canada. The 700 series is much more resistant to rust than the 200 or many other cars of the era, no coincidence since Volvo emphasized it. Sounds like it will be a nice car for the road when it's finished.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Looks like great progress on engine and the new head.

I saw broken piston squirters once before and that was on an engine where someone rebuilt it and used non-turbo pistons, which do not have the notches in the piston skirts to clear the squirters. The skirts had been (crudely) notched by hand with a file or Dremel tool, and on some of them the notches were not deep enough so they chopped the squirter nozzles off. They were found lying in the pan on that motor. The other squirters that had not broken off had dents from contact with the pistons. Any sign on yours (the intact ones) that something similar happened or evidence of "custom" piston modification?

If they broke off on yours a long time ago and the pieces were relatively small they might have found their way into the bottom of the sump and eventually came out during an oil change.

Replacement squirters aren't too hard to find, I may have a few floating around and Anders probably has many also. Definitely want to get six good ones in the engine.

Body looks pretty good for Canada. The 700 series is much more resistant to rust than the 200 or many other cars of the era, no coincidence since Volvo emphasized it. Sounds like it will be a nice car for the road when it's finished.
Thank you for the support I appreciate!!

If I don't find any squirters i'll let you know

Finally the block is at the machinist.

Cylinder walls are fine at first sight. 0,5mm oversize rebore should be enough. Main bearing are fine, but I might change them for the peace of mind. New idler pulley.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:23 PM

More pictures of the machinist shop. First quick wash of the block.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:01 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

I love seeing them freshly painted "John Deere industrial green"
Old 10-30-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
I love seeing them freshly painted "John Deere industrial green"
It might be a great color for it. I will make my choice once there but this one is in my book.

I left the pistons at my machinist, until 2 weeks the rebore should be done so I will go further.

__________________________________________________ ____
*RECEIVED FEW ITEMS

- 6 PISTONS (0.5MM)
- 6 EXHAUST VALVES
- 6 INTAKE VALES
- 14 STEM SEALS
- 6 INJECTOR HEAT SHIELD
- OIL PAN GASKET
- CAM BELT + IP
- MOTOR/TRANS MOUNT
- 2 CORNER LIGHT
- 2 LOWER LIGHT

Old 10-30-2018, 08:49 PM
Supporting Member

Often the hardest part is rounding up all the necessary parts. Looks like you got past that step. The rest should be easy.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Often the hardest part is rounding up all the necessary parts. Looks like you got past that step. The rest should be easy.
You're right ahah. I've got 2 broken oil squirters, I am happy to have Tom helping me out with these specific parts I need !

Took pictures at the machine shop few weeks ago. The block is ready at the time I am writing this, I will pick it up next week.