D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2010, 01:47 AM

Nice car!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

I must be getting soft because I just spent all day rebuilding a power steering rack for my Diesel wagon. Its hurting my shoulders to turn while not rolling. I also have that tiny R-Sport wheel and huge 17" wheels to make matters worse.... Anyways YAy long live power steering!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 PM

Made another upgrade this weekend. I swapped out the old 3.73:1 1031 rear AXL for a 100k 3.54:1 1041 axl. Also swapped for the M47 5spd.

The swap was pretty easy. I recently picked up the 240 M47 driveline And the M47 itself was formally in a 740. I had to HACK the shifter hole a little bit to get the stick position correct. End result, No stupid overdrive, No skinny and weak drive line, And a better younger rear diff with speedo tone ring.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 AM

Kevin, did you notice any difference in highway fuel economy going from the 3.73 to the 3.54?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Actually very little different. Don't get me wrong. It is nice. I get better acceleration from the engines torque. And revving it out doesn't really do much for getting up to speed. Its all in the size of the turbo it seems. I really am liking the stock turbo... however, I do plan on getting my hands on a new ball bearing Garrett unit to try on it. For the winter time I also removed the intercooler. my engine runs too cool anyways. And very interesting... Without the intercooler, my engine temp stays more solid and no wild fluctuations. With the Intercooler climbing a hills.. for those in the same area or know of it. Hwy 26 west out of portland, My engine temp would climb significantly. with out the IC its solid... stays fine. I did notice a tiny little power drop though. but atleast my heater is hotter now.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:36 AM

Are your radiator, thermostat, and fan clutch in good shape? In cars that run hot uphill- especially when in boost with an intercooler at low speeds I've noticed a massive improvement swapping an otherwise good stock fan clutch for the Volvo "tropical fan clutch." It's noisy as heck when it engages, but it dropped my uphill temps in boost towing a trailer from 105C to 85C. A citric acid flush will also bring an old clogged D24 radiator back into like-new shape.

Interesting that your minimum temp is higher also without the intercooler. I can't make any sense of that- it sounds like a thermostat that isn't closing fully, but I don't see how the intercooler could affect that.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Tyler: I use an electric fan.

Not so good news. Because of the unknown history of this junkyard engine. All I know is that when I pulled it the dash said 139k. The lower rad hose had a spot worn through it. The thermostat was bad! stuck shut. The injection pump was off it, and on the window of the car it said leaky pump. parts in trunk.. nothing was in the trunk .
Anyways, been running in my daily driver for 2 months shy of 2 years! with no problems! Of course I put a new T-stat on it and injection pump. a year ago I put a timing belt and front crank seal on it. but No troubles at all! until last monday. I think this may be the cause of what happened.

I had to cross a flooded road to get to my destination. The water was 6 ~ 8 inches deep. I went through it slowly knowing my air filter was LOW I guess enough water splashed up and into it. It was so freaky.. I watched my boost guage max out and quickly bounce around 5 and 15 psi then my motor started KNOCKING like hell. And revving WAY high and stalling.. but not all the way.. then a couple cylinders were working and It was like that for 30 seconds I thought I shurely fucked a couple rods up. then it all cleared out and I continued very slowly on my way... Then I started freaking out... like what if when I goto start it up cold next will it even run? what if I f-ed up something? Well, all seemed well thought out the rest of this week. then yesterday I noticed my water level was significantly low! half gallon low. I shit a brick! topped it up and watched it run with the cap off, yup giezer and then bubbles! I think the water must have weakend the gasket for stretched the head bolts slightly. Or maybe the water was burning and that warped it?> either way, I need to get my 242 GT B21FT powered daily driver back. At the same time I am happy. because I want to do a head job on this motor, make it all pretty while the head is off. I'll be checking the piston to deck height.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:12 PM

That sucks man It probably sucked water into the intake and hydro-locked, lifting the head/stretching the bolts. You might want to do a compression check to test for broken rings before pulling the head off.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Owner/admin

Real shitty...

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:35 PM

I'm almost positive the rings must be fine because it still starts up fine and runs smooth as it ever did.