D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 83 245 D24T

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
Many of the Kolbenshmidt pistons are too short, and result in an engine with too-low compression, even with the 1-notch head gasket. If you go with the Kolbenshmidts I'd test assemble it and check the piston protrusion, and if they don't come up high enough get the block decked slightly to compensate.
My Kolbenshmidts are on the short side. They are right on the lower limit for a 1-notch gasket. (.026in)(.67mm). I have not found a source other than Volvo for the gasket as yet.
Dennis
Old 02-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Volvoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdigo View Post
My Kolbenshmidts are on the short side. They are right on the lower limit for a 1-notch gasket. (.026in)(.67mm). I have not found a source other than Volvo for the gasket as yet.
Dennis
I am *hoping* that one of the 4 engines I have can be simply re-ringed. We will soon find out. I got the lower end gasket kits today that i found on ebay. I bought all 3 and with shipping it was still cheaper than one kit elsewhere. I have 2-D24's that will see a rebuild.

Newark/Bear, DE

Selling NEW and USED Volvo parts!

www.swedishbrickyard.com

Email: mike@swedishbrickyard.com
Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Dennis- you might want to talk to Tom Bryant about this, he's had some luck experimenting with removing layers from the 1 notch gaskets to compensate for shorter pistons. Tasca auto parts sells the MLS gaskets.

I tried this on my old '84 760 with Kolbenshmidts, but apparently the gasket blew for the next owner (although I don't know the circumstances) and was sold to another list member on here. It did run significantly better after installing the super thin gasket, but this was mostly because it had a far too thick (3 notch) gasket on it when I purchased it.

With pistons that short, your engine will run OK with the 1-notch gasket but will never quite have the power level or cold starting ability it was designed to have. With a 1 notch gasket you'll have 1.5-.67=0.83mm (0.0327") piston to head clearance which is a ton considering this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bryant
Use the thinnest headgasket you can get away with. Shoot for 0.019" piston-to-head clearance, and don't allow anything more than 0.021". The absolute minimum you can get away with is 0.017".
The green book specs however call for not going below 0.023".
Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Vehicle: 83 245 D24T

Very good info, but I am at a point where it wouldn't be a lot of trouble to trim the block a tad. I need to get some more precise measurements. I just used a straight edge and feeler gage to check but I am reasonably sure of the .026 in measurement. What are the specs for the MLS gaskets? Worse yet is I think I know why the Caddy is so clacky now.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 PM

The MLS gaskets have DIFFERENT THICKNESS THAN (fixed) the fiber ones of the same number of notches.

//edit: I'd bet you could make a reasonably accurate replica of the factory piston height tool from a block of hardwood and a dial gauge.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Volvoist

Got my spare engine apart this afternoon. It suffered a broken timing belt at some point (was pulled when I got it). It was *supposedely* in an 84 245, however, upon taking it apart, it has the early head and early block unfortunately. Good news is that it is in excellent shape inside. Since I have it out already and there is no detectable ridge in any of the cylinders, I am simply going to hone it and put standard rings in it and get the head fixed. It seems 5 valves leak when I spray WD-40 in the intake/exhaust ports with the cam removed (was broken in 3 places). The head gasket was a Goetze 3-notch gasket, so I suspect it had been replaced. It measured 1.7 mm, so it is a 3-notch. I will likely go with a MLS gasket from Volvo for the replacement. The engine will go into my 82 244 until this motor dies, and then I will rebuild the original motor that is coming out of the 244, so the fact that it is an early engine does not bother me much.
I will keep everyone posted!

Newark/Bear, DE

Selling NEW and USED Volvo parts!

www.swedishbrickyard.com

Email: mike@swedishbrickyard.com
Old 02-05-2011, 05:19 PM

Correction: According to a post on the e-mail list, the MLS gaskets do not measure the same thickness as the fiber ones, and are indeed thinner. The advice in my previous post is therefore erroneous and potentially dangerous if someone were to shoot for a very tight piston to head clearance, and assume fiber gasket thicknesses.