D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2010, 03:14 PM

Default 5 cyl TDI into a RWD Peugeot?

I have been thinking about this idea for some time now, and I know it isn't exactly about Volvos but I after reading posts here and elsewhere I think that the best knowledge about this idea might be in these forums, and these seems the least inappropriate section.

So, I own a 1976 Peugeot 604 here in the UK. They are both rare and unloved here. I really like the car but:-

1. The engines are troublesome as they get older. It is what you would know as a B27 PRV engine. Last year I changed all of the rocker arms and one head bolt was damaged. I ended up replacing it with a used headbolt as they are no longer available. The top end is already sounding rattly again. Most Volvos in the UK are 4 cyl and getting a good replacement B27 is kind of unlikely.
2. Mine is a manual which you would think is a good thing, but I have a weak left knee, I live in London where the traffic is awful, and the 604 has a piece of dashboard that sticks out exactly so that your left knee hits it as you operate the clutch. Most 604s were automatics and when you drive mine you can see why.
3. I would like to drive the car a lot more but the fuel consumption is awful. Petrol is £1.16 per litre which is about $7 US per US gallon I think. The car is doing about 15mpg in US numbers

What I really need is a big diesel engine with an automatic gearbox, and put the petrol engine safely in storage in case I ever want to return it to standard.

So what engine?
The obvious candidate is the Peugeot 505 2.5 turbo diesel 4 cyl. The problem is that this engine is heavy, noisy and not very powerful. It dates back to the 1950s and is frankly a boat anchor by modern standards.

Then I found out that
The D24 came with a ZF 4HP22 transmission (same as a Peugeot 505)
All VW/Audi 5 and 6 cyl engines have the same bolt pattern.

So in theory a 5 cyl TDI from an Audi 100 would bolt up to either a Peugeot or Volvo 4HP22 transmission with a Volvo bellhousing. The 4HP22 would need a Peugeot tail section to attach it to the 604 propshaft/torque tube.

Lastly I believe that the Audi 100 and possible early A6 electronics are not too complex. My wife had an Audi 80 TDI once and unlike later VW/Audis the ECU is somewhat separate from the rest of the car and contains no immobiliser stuff in there.

The 5 cyl TDI engine is also powerful, sounds nice and is very efficient, and probably not too long to fit in the 604.

Here are some pictures that I scanned in from an Audi 100 workshop manual

The arrangement of the inlet manifold and the turbo look very similar to pics I have seen of the D24T on these forums.

So now some questions for you guys
1. I read that the D24T is more upright than the D24 in Volvos so that the turbo doesn't hit the inner wing. Does this mean that they have different bell housings? or does the transmission just sit in the car at a slight angle in one of them?

2. The 604 engine bay is 34" wide between the inner wings/suspension turrets. How does that compare with a 240 or 760?

3. Because my 604 is right hand drive the steering column is on the right and runs quite close to the bell housing. On V6 PRV 604 right hand drive models have a different bell housing that put the starter motor on the left. Where would a Volvo D24 4HP20 bellhousing put the starter motor? If anyone has any photos of one of these I'd love to see it.

thanks for any thoughts