D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Parts for sale

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764
Default Free to a good home: 2 D24 motors

Spring cleaning time, and I have some motors that are taking up space that is needed. Either one or both of these are available, gratis, *to someone who will put them to use*.

-#1 1984.5 D24 out of a 244, has ~330,000 original miles. Was removed for a D24T swap, still a pretty good runner but beginning to show its age. Had timing belts and valves most recently done at 275k, a headgasket sometime before that around 180k, otherwise just routine service. Was in my care for the past ~100k and was used for a 100+ mile daily commute during that time. In the last year before it was removed it began to run warmer than it used to when climbing long hills -- never lost any coolant and passed the bubble test right at the end before it was pulled out -- I think the rad was the problem, but an early-stage headgasket issue is not ruled out. Compression started to drop off a little bit in the last 50k as well, but still starts well cold or warm - lit right up to drive into the shop for the last time. This has been a reliable motor and may still have some life left, but it has definitely already given its best years and is coming up on needing some work soon, timing belts at the minimum and maybe a HG, so it is best considered an excellent rebuildable core. Currently sitting complete from oil pan to valve cover, including original IP, missing only injectors, fuel lines, and accessories.

-#2 1982 D24 out of a 245 GL, this motor was rebuilt at some point in the past and had a lot of money spent getting an aftermarket turbo set up on it, but was then victimized by someone trying to install the front belt without tools, and the crank gear slipped soon after, head is completely destroyed. Bottom end should still have usable parts, block at the minimum, probably crank and rods as well, but I would not assume anything without checking carefully since the valve crash was pretty bad on this. Has been sitting since the '90s and it's fairly crusty. I think it is probably safe to figure it's rebuildable but it ain't pretty.

Both of these are in Seattle. Free to someone who can use them, and help with pickup/delivery might be possible.

George