D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom

Old 12-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Default 95 940 SE Wagon Auto TDic

I meant to post these a while ago but beter late than never I suppose, lol. Bought this exactly a year ago, genuine 1 owner, full service history etc, 110k miles certified. Absolutely factory standard apart from the stereo which I changed, (the origional still works perfectly but I wanted a CD player) even the carphone was fitted by the Dealer prior to first delivery, and it still works. It's now on 122k miles, the only problem it has given is it eats alternator belts every 2,500 miles, other than that is has been totally faultless. The only mods I have done to it (so far) are I have adjusted the power steering pump to make the steering lighter. I do plan to uprate the suspension a little as I do carry a lot of heavy band equipment around plus it does wallow a bit and has pronounced roll when pushed hard in the bends on rougher roads although it can take a bend at surprisingly high speeds, so I'm looking at fitting load leveler shox, slightly stiffer springs and stiffer anti roll bars, plus I'll renew all the suspension bushes with neoprene after market ones. If I can find a locking diff I'll fit it as it would be very usefull in winter here. For a stock motor the performance is execptionally good compared to other 940 tdic models I've driven, 0-60 is 9.9 seconds and it maxes out at 121mph (verified by GPS). The acceleration does drop off somewhat above 4,200 rpm especially in 3rd and top so I might have a go at the AFC pin/diaphram just to get a bit better overtaking power at high revs. Fuel consumption is very good, over the year it's averaged 39 mpg with hard driving on mainly mountain roads, on a steady run at 80mph it will do 46mpg (thats Euro gallons, about mid to high 30s in US gallons).
The bodywork is straight, origional and totally rust free and the interior is as new. All in all, a lovely car to own and drive, very comfortable, no rattles or squeaks, and utterly reliable. We had minus 17 C last winter and she started up the same as it does on a sunny day. At first I was dubious about getting a diesel but now I'm totally hooked on them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]291[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]292[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]293[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]294[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]295[/ATTACH]
Old 12-28-2011, 02:15 PM

cont,,,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]299[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]297[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298[/ATTACH]
Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Very nice looking wagon. Wish we had been able to get them in these later model years on this side of the pond. I like the 940 body style.

Very interesting equipment, though... leather steering wheel but cloth seats, automatic transmission but no A/C! All makes sense in the UK, probably pretty normal spec there, but on these shores it would be considered quite bizarre. In fact even in our earlier 200 and 700 series Diesels I don't think you could buy one without A/C.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM

thanks for your comments. Re the equipment, generally it's never warm enough in Ireland to need A/C, and the wagons I looked at that did have leather interior were pretty rotten. Sadly, over here most people dont look after their cars, they buy them new and just run them into the ground, so it's very hard to get a good older model car here, thats why I settled on this one as is was by far the best I've come across. I was in contact with another 940 owner who has the same wagon as mine, it's mechanically and bodily a wreck, but it has a very good light grey leather interior with power memory seats which (all going well) I'll be buying from him in the summer when he plans to scrap it, and put the leather in mine so that will do me fine.