D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Cars for sale

Old 09-05-2016, 11:16 AM

Default 1984 Volvo 240 Base for sale

I've decided to sell my 1984 Volvo 240 diesel, 130,896 miles, which is also not an easy decision for me, as this, while not in the best condition, is the most reliable, dependable car I've ever used, and am fond of this one. I knew a mechanic who said he once owned a Volvo 240 diesel stick shift wagon, that he used to 540,000 miles. With 410,000 fewer miles, I've no doubt this car can achieve that, too. I went in the 1986 740 to South Carolina to see it 3 years ago, and purchased it as I wanted the stick shift w/ electronic 5th gear overdrive as a replacement for an earlier 740. It was never in the same condition as my 740, but is the most reliable car I've ever seen. The person I bought it from said it was once white, as Black/Blue seemed an unusual color for this.
My history with it--I bought it in 2013 from South Carolina (it is from Florida, have some papers as well; I know myself to be the third owner), and received it literally the day my 1990 740 was destroyed in an accident. I had plans to repaint and restore, but could not afford that with a second car.

This vehicle is a monster. It sounds like a truck, has been rear ended by a new plastic Honda without even budging from the impact, while the Honda's plastic grille, bumper were strewn on the ground (I bought it from a Russian man in South Carolina, who said Hondas are not popular in Russia, where they're considered inferior cars, while these vintage Volvo diesels are coveted. I told him about the Honda wrecking itself on my Volvo, days after getting it, which he said proves the Russian opinion of old Volvos vs. Hondas) two years ago, it still drove without oil and coolant, and never seized; I even had a friend's son run in fear of the sight and sound of it; the mother said this car intimidated both him--and her, and said it should have been in 1983 movie "Christine." I was complimented by this, and said I wanted to have it repainted with new black paint and red stripe, making it look like the A-Team van. In the blizzard of 2014, it bulldozed out of 4-6 inches of snow, while the 740 was stuck. I've used it in heavy rain and snow--I even considered having a snow plow and towing hitch added to it, but was told it could not bear that weight (let alone weight of another car), and of course would have been very expensive. It is slower than the 740, not having its turbocharger, but is very strong and durable. This has always been a back up car for me at times even an afterthought, where I nearly forgot I had it, as the 740's always been the primary; now using more regularly.
I've had it long enough where this is second nature, and easily overlooked--the car shifts smoothly, and runs smoothly. I compare this car to a small truck, relative to the 740, but that refers to its slowness and lack of additional power relative the 740's turbocharger, which this of course, does not have. But the shifting if smooth, easy, and requires no effort, which I realize is the reason its never an uncomfortable or impractical in traffic jams; you will never tire from clutching and shifting in this car; I don't.

These were rare cars in their own time, and even rarer, today. It has a blue cloth interior with two tears, a covered dash (came in the car when I bought it). Has a 1 1/2 year old battery. The car handles in snow very well, which I credit the stick shift and bigger tires for. It has the original steel rims, which I have plastic 1990 hub caps over, and came with the car from South Carolina. Has good brakes, has never needed radiator work, though temp gauge is inaccurate, though it always read normal mid range; gauge rises because of a regulator mechanism inside the instrument panel independent of thermostat, as mechanic has tested with infrared thermometer, told me; his test showed normal temperature of 77-116 degrees.

I've always used this car as secondary, as its in rough shape, but have since grown fond of it for its incredible durability, simplicity and stick shift. Its also a great, fun pleasure to drive--the stick shift is a blast, operates very smoothly, easily, effectively has more power than an auto, and the electronic overdrive works perfectly and immediately; even the man I bought it from didn't know how to use it. These engines were originally used in trucks, and this engine has a truck-like feel and sound to it, which is why I once considered a plow and tow hitch for it. For such a 'small' car, it feels quite heavy; doors are heavy, hood is heavy, even had a mechanic refuse to do oil change, as he said it was too heavy for the lift.
Also, it has the dense, hard, heavy gauge steel exhaust and tail pipes the 240 diesel had; not the standard quality metal that I've seen on other cars. This heavy metal exhaust also gives it a distinctive 'tinny' sound unique to 240s. The exhaust is original, firm, and no part of it has ever needed replacement.

Extremely reliable, drive it everywhere from Lancaster, PA, to VA, with no problems. Very sturdy, strong, if slow, being a regular diesel. It has good fuel economy, and in fact was intended as an economy car, even when fuel was cheap (I bet in '84 it cost as little as $6 to fill!); I've never needed more than $20 to get a full tank, while the 740 has cost twice, even three times as much during times of highest fuel prices. The fuel economy is such that when 1/4 appears on the gauge, there is actually 1/2 tank, and little as $5-$10 can fill to half tank; I've heard this described as 'feedback fuel system.' This makes an already utilitarian car even more useful on long trips, as I've used it; I've used it for spontaneous interstate trips, as one would go around the block. And even in traffic jams and rush hour traffic, I'm never bothered, bored by the stick shifting. It has new electric fuel pump, new alternator (two tears ago, it actually drove for a day *without* an alternator belt--that's how strong it is) new front tires, new hood hinges, a new driver's window, and some of the tail the lights were repaired last week. Until 1987, these cars were designed with wiring harnesses that predeceased the cars. The wiring in this one is great, not frayed, and was improved by previous owners.

This is a base model car, has old manual crank windows and was not designed with air conditioning, (but has great heat) which 2nd owner had been gradually adding, when I came by it. I should say the car in fact does not need air conditioning; the cloth seats never get hot, the interior is spacious, the windows open wide enough, as to provide more than enough ventilation. I've never been uncomfortable in it even on 90 degree days. In the trunk is a detachable plug-in car fan, which I'll include, but I'm never uncomfortable enough to need it, and forgot it was there, until I saw it today.
The base model simplicity is the feature I credit for its longevity and reliability--fewer parts/features to break down. Some a/c, lines/hoses are included in the trunk; in fact, 740's spare compressor is compatible, though I purchased for it. It has the door pockets, though not attached and on the back seat, as well as some of the weather moulding included in the trunk (this was in the car when I got it, left over from the white-black repainting, I was told). There is a full box of various spare parts that came with the car when I got it from South Carolina. Also the valve and timing covers had been painted green by the second owner, I was told, in imitation of a John Deere tractor.

The car has been broken into before, which is why the driver's window was replaced. The inner door handle was pulled out in a break-in, and the trunk was also broken into, hence the missing lock, and the radio/speakers, which were stolen. Its fine with me, as the engine is the music to my ears. Dome light does not work. I suspect the reason the car itself was never stolen in those break-ins is because it is stick shift, which fewer people know how to drive, (let alone figuring how to put this one in reverse because of the detent collar) this in itself may be a theft deterrent--I've read that of all cars stolen here in the last 3 years, only 7 were stick shift. The car has rust on the hood and floors, is NOT in perfect cosmetic condition, which I'd hoped to fix, but can no longer afford the restoration, and have decided if I can't restore it, pass on to one who might. I loaned it to a sibling as well, and he said it would not even very expensive to restore (mainly new hood, new paint, rust patching), I've no more time, means for that. May not be the best looking car, but utterly reliable; have never seen a car to compare in durability. If the body needs restorative work, the engine needs no work at all, unless you count the lack of a/c, which it never had to start with.

Vehicle is sold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_4036.jpg (96.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4038.jpg (95.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4039.jpg (96.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4041.jpg (90.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4042.jpg (84.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by RSmith; 02-23-2017 at 10:42 AM. Reason: not finished
Old 09-05-2016, 11:19 AM

New at this program. Car is in Owings Mills Maryland, $2500 obo.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:04 PM

New to this. Dodgecolt93@comcast.net