D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage

Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw View Post
i have to agree with everything you've said, and i can't wait to see mine on them either, but i'm going to force myself to! i have winter steelies anyway, so they'll be going on soon as i have a funny feeling we're going to have a very short autumn in England this year and go straight to winter very soon!

i do quite like the 850 t5 alloys (can't remember the name at the moment), and am thinking of trying to find a set for my mom's V70 maybe, but they would need spacers to correct the offset on a 700. still very chuffed with my finding these hydras though

what's the colour on that 760, it's really lovely!

Richard
The whole island is always constantly trying to survive that ``UK weather``.

I don`t know what type of blue it is called but here`s the plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqUOKkUE5)mLgcp3BOnEmHIstw~~60_3.jpg (76.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-31-2013, 04:19 AM

uk weather isn't really weather at all, just different types of grey.

as for the colour, apparently it's an 85-86 colour, light blue met, imaginative name! mines called riviera blue met, though strangely it wasn't on the site i looked that one up on, so maybe a colour that wasn't available in the US?

Richard
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM

Default New wheels on

crap photo i'm afraid

hehehehe

Richard
Old 01-02-2014, 09:44 AM

my engine currently looks like this!

anyone got any genius ideas as to how i do the crank pulley back up seeing as i used the starter motor to unto it?

More later after i do some revision.

Rich
Old 01-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Wow, you have one of those late D24TIC EGR motors with the extra timing belt tensioner... Cool. Older ones used the water pump (mounted with slotted holes) to set the belt tension... the later ones like this should be easier.

Volvo special tool 9995187 is what is supposed to be used for crank pulley torquing. It grabs the lugs on the inside of the balancer and counterholds it while you reef on it with a cheater bar to get about 350# of torque on the bolt. Not too many other alternatives, if you want to actually torque it to the spec, you pretty much have to have the tool, or make a homemade copy (as some on here have done). Here in the US the tool is pretty much unobtainium unless you luck out at a Volvo indy shop or dealer that has it and is willing to let it go or can borrow it from a forum member here. May be easier to track one down in the UK since anyplace that does serious work on VW LT vans with this engine should also have one.

You might contact 745 TurboGreasel for some dimensional info on the homebrew tools he made; if you are handy with a welder or know someone who is, that may be your easiest option.

Original tool looks like this, also pictured is wrench extension 9995188 which makes the job easier but can be done without:
Old 01-02-2014, 10:54 AM

yeah, i knew about the tool, theres a guy in the UK making one which i was down to borrow, hence not having done the job already, but i will post a message in a mo which explains why i started on it today instead. i spoke to volvo uk about the tool, but apparently it's NLA and was about £130 when it was! i actually have the dealer tool for the other pulleys, as it's the same as the one for the D5252T in the V70, which volvo sold me instead of the crank pulley tool for that :P

think i'm just going to go with as tight as i can get it up to with the handbrake on in fifth, with someone on the brakes, and if that's not torque before the clutch slips then it'll have to do until i can borrow the right tool!

cheers for the reply

Richard
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM

i've finally made a start on changing my cam belt, must be something going on at the moment as since i started i've noticed that steve (doingitsideways) has also been talking about doing his!

i went out to do a service, started with dropping the oil, which was a task in itself, couldn't get the bloody sump plug off! really must replace that thing! anyway, oil eventually out, i then set about cleaning the crank case breather system and the EGR system, just cos i could, and while stripping these bits off ended up with this:

broken EGR stud :| after some cursing i realised the car wasn't going to be running again today so i may as well do the water pump service that i needed to do anyway!

box full of bits soaking in petrol:

front of engine stripped:

tomorrow i need to:

acquire new crank pulley bolt
acquire new EGR pipe studs
acquire more oil! (only got 6 ltrs)
have fan pulley machined for leccy fan to fit
clean and paint cam shaft cover
wire leccy fan
drain coolant
remove rad and intercooler
remove water pump, cam belt idler and cam shaft sprocket
remove inception pump belt cover and belt
fit new water pump, cam belt idler and tensioner, cam belt
refit crank shaft sprocket and cam shaft sprocket
fit new injection pump belt and refit cover
refit intercooler and radiator, with leccy fan
refit EGR system with clean valve and new studs
refit all intercooler piping
refill coolant and oil
time injection pump
fit new gearbox crossmember that's finally been painted

think that should keep me busy when i should be revising!

think my list of problems with the car would then be down to just the GPR, the immobiliser that's not connected to immobilise anything, the new leather seats that i can't fit as i have no wiring for the leccy drivers seat and the brackets are all different for the rears in general, the trim that seems to rattle and creak from everywhere, the radio that won't tune in to FM but does still receive FM, and all the body work problems. probably more actually but that's all i can think of now, why do we keep old cars again???

Richard

EDIT: scoob, yeah, i was thinking the same thing about how to tighten it, ouldnt think of any other way, just hope i can get it tight enough!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Thumbs up 9995187 tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Here in the US the tool is pretty much unobtainium unless you luck out at a Volvo indy shop or dealer that has it and is willing to let it go or can borrow it from a forum member here.
On December 31, 2011 I was able to buy this tool and several others from SPX/Rotunda which I think might be a part of OTC. I'd have to look in my notes what I paid but at the time it was reasonable, especially considering the tools are very hard to come by. These were new stock, not necessarily NOS; very high quality. I got the tip from Robert Ludwick on the older D24 ML; from Robert:

"The number I have for Rotunda is one where, when I've called it, they have assumed right off that I was a legit shop and were ready to sell to me, no questions asked. It's the direct Volvo tools inside line within Rotunda, which I believe is used by Kent-Moore. OK, here's the one I have: 1-800-345-3399."

Actually, no kidding, in searching for this info I found my own post from the D24 ML in 2009; from me:

"I was successful in ordering the V9995199 ($39) and V9995201 ($58) tools from the number George posted (1-800-345-3399). They are the Ford-Lincoln-Mercury-Volvo tools retail division of SPX. They did not require me to be part of a service shop, only that I pay with a credit card if I did not already have a customer account."

Again I'd need to check what I paid for 9995187 but all prices seemed reasonable.

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 AM

cheers for that jim, wish there was some way of me getting them in the UK, if only it was so easy though, apparently volvo can't get them!

ok, so i'm actually attaching new parts, and shiny clean ones, and painted ones even!

cleaned up this mess:

to this:

the bottom ally part is still not perfect but short of taking it off and soaking it in petrol i don't think it ever will be, and i don't know what's bhind it so i'm not doing that.

new and old:

pulley is a little smaller on the new one but it's the same in every other way and the impeller is metal which is good as most seem to be plastic these days like the last one was.

the full set:

painted up the covers:

and started reassembly:

more when the photos upload

Richard
Old 01-03-2014, 01:14 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

VW may still have those tools on your side?
I take my weight to determine how far out on the wrench handle I stand to torque that bolt.
My SillyServiceTools; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=228915