D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Default Help - is my headgasket going....??

Right, so my third ever post here is asking if my headgasket is on it's way out...

The weekend I changed glowplugs 4,5,6 which all went a little bit too well - I'm always cautious when things go right, especially after everyone has warned me how "impossible" (to quote a few) a job that is. I noticed a lot of oil down that side of the block, from the cylinder head downwards. Staying rational about it, I just cleaned off all the oil hoping i would not re-appear.

Well, I've done 200 miles since, so checked again today - and it's back - although not as bad.

There is definite oil puddling on/around the bits of the headgasket you can see that stick out from head/block. But only around cylinders 3-5.

Still suggests to me headgasket, but trying to stay hopeful, I am wondering if it would be the gasket on the vacuum pump leaking down onto the headgasket.

**Edit** - forgot to say I've had the car 2 months, done 2,000 miles so far, and no loss of coolant. Coolant is a fairly clean looking green and has been just above "Min" since I bought it. Oil usage is minimal, but on a cold morning start-up there is a little blue smoke for 2-3 seconds so obviously burning a little when cold.

I've taken a few pics (the best I could get - there is too much stuff in the way to get good pics).

Opinions please.....

No oil round Cylinders 2-3:

Just behind No.3 glowplug you can see oil around HG:

From underneath. I am almost convincing myself it's coming down from the Vacuum pump....

But, does it explain this over by cylinders 4-5? Maybe oil trickled back:
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Supporting Member

Looks like the oil leak my car had when the vac pump gasket was gone (not there). Clean the entire area again, and run the car for 10 minutes, shut it off, let it cool, and check the area directly under the vac pump with a clean white rag, where it bolts to the head. If it's the vac pump gasket, you will find fresh oil at the mating surface there between the vac pump and head.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM

Based on your pictures, I think you are correct about the vacuum pump seal being the culprit. Does the oil look like it could be coming from above the vacuum pump, at the valve cover gasket? Mine used to leak pretty badly from the valve cover gasket: oil was covering both sides of the block.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:09 AM

That's what I did try to do before, but after 10 minutes didn't show any oil - has only shown after few days of driving.

To change the gasket on the Vacuum pump is it as simple as undo the 2 nuts, clean surfaces of old gasket, and replace vacuum pump with 2 nuts? Or is there something complicated inside the vacuum pump? (sorry, new to diesels)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Based on your pictures, I think you are correct about the vacuum pump seal being the culprit. Does the oil look like it could be coming from above the vacuum pump, at the valve cover gasket? Mine used to leak pretty badly from the valve cover gasket: oil was covering both sides of the block.
No, it's all dry above the vacuum pump (on this side of the engine). There is a leak from the valve cover on the other side of the engine at the back though.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 AM

Is the vacuum pump gasket easy to change?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Supporting Member

Easy. Gasket is a large thin oval-shaped o-ring. Loosen the lower nut first when disassembling, tighten it first when assembling, to avoid breaking the lower boss. Take care to not let the actuator rod slide all the way out. If it does slide out, you must replace it in the same orientation.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Easy. Gasket is a large thin oval-shaped o-ring. Loosen the lower nut first when disassembling, tighten it first when assembling, to avoid breaking the lower boss. Take care to not let the actuator rod slide all the way out. If it does slide out, you must replace it in the same orientation.
I've pulled my vacuum pump numerous times in order to mess with the IP timing and injectors. I've never noticed anything that would lead me to believe orientation mattered. It seems that it rotates about its axis, since every time I pull it out it is in a different location about its axis. I realize that the push rod has a flat "side" to it, but I thought that was just for lubrication purposes. Would you mind sharing with me how the orientation of the push rod matters?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM

Yes, the rod is free to rotate as the engine runs. As for orientation, the same end should always be against the camshaft, to save wear on the cam lobe. As the engine turns, the cam pushes the rod out once every revolution, and the spring in the vacuum pump pushes it back in. It's much easier to install the pump if you rotate the engine as you push in on the rod, until it is in as far as it goes.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Right, changed the vacuum pump gasket... and....

I'm certain it's the headgasket!!!! No signs of leaking from the vacuum pump. But looked very oily again round the headgasket. Wiped all clean while the vacuum pump was out the way, so no traces of oil around the headgasket at all.

Put the vacuum pump back on with new O ring, then started up and let it get warm - so far so good.

Took it for a good thrashing round the block then had another look. There is definitely the first signs of oil seeping again....

Oily mess before:

After clean-up and then a good thrash - see the start of oil seeping from between head and gasket again...?:

It's still not losing any coolant and coolant doesn't look contaminated. Is this a big issue for a D24T? I told my mate that works in a garage and he didn't seem to think it an issue at all - he says all diesels leak oil not to worry - even though I stressed it was the headgasket.

We're planning to go on hols in it in 2 weeks - will probably cover 1000 miles in a week - so what do I do?? I don't have the time (and probably not the tools for this as I am told it requires some special tools) to fix this before we go....