D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Supporting Member

Default New Owner-- Question About Temp Gauge

Hi,

New owner of a 85 740gle d24t, new forum member.

At 175,000 mi, car has generally been well maintained; frequent oil changes, coolant flushes, T-belt changes on schedule, etc.

Except for a recent repair performed by a new shop the previous owner had recently tried (at 172k mi.)

Apparently GP system was inop. Shop found temp sender wire (appears to be the temp gauge sender wire?) was burned from a short and apparently they connected the GP brown temp wire to the water temp gauge sensor, the one at the front of the engine, just front of the #1 GP. GP system now works. Especially after I replaced the burned out #1, #2, #3 GPs yesterday.

However the instrument panel temp gauge stays pegged at max cold. Dead, in other words.

Looking at the rear of the engine, there is a temp sensor at the extreme rear of the head, just below and to the side of the camshaft IP drive pulley. Is this supposed to be the temp sensor for the GP system? Nothing attached to it, but there is a short stub wire with a female flag terminal kludgily attached to another wire, seems to be going thru the firewall. My hunch is that this wire should be attached to the temp sensor at the front of the head and the GP controller should use the sensor at the rear of the head.

NOTE: Of course my understanding of which temp sensor is which might be incorrect. Front sensor = temp gauge, rear sensor = GP controller, correct?

Does anybody have a chance to see how theirs is routed?

Working temp gauge is important on these engines.