D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 PM

Post D24 vs D24T Injection pump

Hi again, here asking more questions. i try to keep questions split up between departments, so i dont have one massive thred.

Anyway,
as a few of you have read, i am (at some point in the next year) building a volvo 240 d24t. being fairly new to this particular motor, i still have alot of theroy questions about it. one of the main ones at the moment being about the IP.

from my understanding, the main differnce between N/A pump and turbo pump is a diaphram, positioned beside the throttle cable connection, that (from my vuage understanding) changes fueling under boost. i get how it works, as boost increases, it moves the diaphram, moving a pin, a pin that rides between the max fuel adjustment screw and (excuse my lack of knowlage) whatever the max fuel screw actually moves internaly. this pin is sloped, increasing (or decreasing) fuel depending on boost. (if im wrong please correct me)

my main question is, do i need a d24t IP to make more power turboed. or is it more of a drivability thing/smoke control thing? (im perfectly okay with rolling coal in a volvo, the cummins guys get so mad when a sedan smokes them out, then beats them in a race) but since there isn't a big market for n/a pumps im assuming no, you cannot get more power using an na pump.

i did however read a post the jason put up about removing the pin altogether. at least i think thats what he said, i just want to be absolutly sure.

i am doing this, so in my opinion it is completly worth overdoing. and that means having all of my facts straight.

i also want to know the benifits of this variable fueling over not having it, or vice versa.

and i do apologize for making another thred, i did alot of searching on this before i posted, just didn't find what i wanted.

Last edited by 240TDi; 11-08-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: redundancy
Old 11-09-2013, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

If it din't help, the Cummins guys would not have 9000 threads on adjusting it, and neither would the VW guys. Pump plunger size is going to be your limiting factor if you can get the engine to hold together.

It does not change fueling under boost, it limits fueling off boost.

Yes you can run an NA pump, and have about the same top end, but you will smoke for nothing at part throttle, increase EGT, maybe stick a ring, and have no performance gain. Actually, you probably lose a bit.

Last edited by 745 TurboGreasel; 11-09-2013 at 12:13 AM.