D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 AM

I made it no problem! I was so excited I yelled in joy when I hit the summit! Thanks for all the help and advice, I couldn't have done this without you guys. Now I get to spend a week sailing in the California Delta w/ my dad.

I climbed the grapevine at 3000-3500 rpm in 3rd gear most of the way, going down to second on the steepest bits. Peak temp was 102C when I floored it, but I could keep it under 100C. That's compared to 116C with no trailer last time I drove the same road. I think my cooling system can handle continuous full load at low speed without overheating.

After the grapevine, I was able to maintain 60mph in 4th gear, running the A/C and cruise control all the way to Sacramento and the engine stayed cool. I also never had to downshift once after getting past the grapevine. I was far from the slowest vehicle on the road. Once the weather got hot around noon power reduced a bit, and my speed dropped to 57mph.

Also, coming down the grapevine I didn't touch the brakes the whole way. With the A/C on at 3,000 rpm the D24T had enough engine braking to keep the speed constant. The brakes were cool to the touch at the bottom of the grade.

Last edited by casioqv; 08-26-2013 at 09:20 AM.