D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2010, 01:07 AM

Default what tubbo ?????????

Hi guys i have just got a 940 td estate j reg and i intend to play with it a bit
i have read some about turbos and thinking about using a garatt gt1549 off a rover 400 diesel because is set at 14.5 psi from the factory and cheap as chips
what do you think ?????
Old 07-01-2010, 02:36 AM

Just read the thread headder Pete, whats a tubbo? PMSL!
Just to add to this we will be intercooling the engine, plus fabricating new mounts, flanges etc wont be a problem for us (he's my Brother in Law BTW
Jim
Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to cuaz64

The 940 TD use the a Garrett T3 with adjustable wastegate, so, you can use a MBC to adjust boost, or simply adjust the leght of the actuator rod. The stock turbo is good up to 15PSI with no modification to the turbo or the fuel system.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 PM

GT15 -series is quite a small turbo, much smaller in size than normal T03. I'm quite sure there's going to be a lot of backpressure if used in d24, that's why I'm going to use 2 of them (which itself isn't reasonable in any way, but they really are cheap so I just can't resist)
Old 07-03-2010, 12:53 PM

can you post pics when you have finished
Old 07-03-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWL_Puavo View Post
GT15 -series is quite a small turbo, much smaller in size than normal T03. I'm quite sure there's going to be a lot of backpressure if used in d24, that's why I'm going to use 2 of them (which itself isn't reasonable in any way, but they really are cheap so I just can't resist)
I had thought of that too as I can get them for next to nothing, but guessed the lag would be quite bad on a 2.4 as the GT15 series turbos are quite common on 2 litre 4 bangers. Having had a rethink about the stock turbo we are going to see how it works with a intercooler, boost up to 14.5 psi and the pump tuned up a bit. Pete really wants the car to be much better at towing a caravan, plus be able to give the best MPG possiable when its running light.
Cheers
Jim
Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 AM

Since our VW LT's turbo lag is now infinite, I can imagine only improvements in this area

They cost, BTW, 280 euros (350$) for two gt15's shipped in Finland, came from GB (no taxes inside EU).