D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM

Unhappy Engine On Time

Hello,

I'am Tom From the Netherlands and hav a problem with my car,

I have a Volvo 760 2.4 TD from 1984,
Last week i have replaced all the belt's and oil + filters, when i was done i want too start the engine but its not on time any more,
it runs but not on a proper way, and a lot of smoke some time's black some time's grey, is here some one who can tell me what the problem is and how i can fix t,

Greet's Tom,
Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Lightbulb

Hello Tom, welcome to the forum. If you suspect your engine / injection timing is incorrect you can refer to this post:

http://www.d24t.com/showpost.php?p=968&postcount=3

Let us know if you have any additional questions, good luck!

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Old 04-10-2010, 02:43 PM

Default I have

I have that green book, But if I do it how its told me to do according that green book my engine wont start at all,

when I do it totally different so not according the book,

I rotate the engine an camshaft different from each until the cylinder 1 is on time i found out that my camshaft stands different that what the book is telling me, my lobes are standing both down and nut up, now it is running but with a lot of smoke,
if I put the engine on time according the book than it wont run, i tried all the way's that i read but it wont run normal, the garage told me that i need a new pump but this one is 2 years old and 4305 km,s later when its being mount on the engine, he looks very strange and he don't knows what the problem than is,

I do hope that you can help me with other tips what i can try,

already thanks for your reaction,

Greets Tom,
Old 04-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to cuaz64

hmmm...maybe your Cold Start Device is "out of sync", changing the injection time incorrectly and giving the smoke as result.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

Are you lining up the zero mark on the flywheel and checking the position of cam lobes on cyl #1 they should be both up. there is a mark on the injection pump cog, that should line up with a mark on the pump bracket. Thats close to zero. To time it correctly, you need the special dial indicator and time the pump to .85mm before TDC on the crank. Screw the cold start. Remove it and throw it away.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Default new info

Thanks for the replay's,

Ive removed the first injector en putt special made screwdriver with a round head inside the opening and thorn't the engine and found out that the first cylinder stay's in top it is not moving at all so my next step will be, engine disabling and take a good look from the inside of the engine,

if i have more news i will let you all know it here in this topic,

Greets Tom,
Old 04-12-2010, 06:38 PM

No!!!! Don't pull it apart!!!!

There is a pre chamber in there. Don't mess with it. Do you know where the viewing window is for finding the Zero mark? Its on the Injection pump side of the motor at the back where the engine meets the transmission. If you have the green books, it should teach you everything you need to know about the D24.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
Screw the cold start. Remove it and throw it away.
That's a dumb thing to say. How could there be any sound logic behind this advice? The cold start device on these engines works very well and it is necessary for proper operation and engine longevity. I can't see why there would be any sense in removing a working system -- it can only help if it is functioning properly. If it is broken or stuck I can see disabling it for a while until you have time/funds to get it fixed but getting it working properly is cheap and easy and it makes a big difference in starting, smoke, smoothness, and cold driveability. I can't see how chopping it off like I have seen you do makes any sense.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:23 AM

I straight up, hate them.
On a customers car I won't remove it. And I'll correct it if I find somebody is the past set the cold start device up wrong.
I would like to rig up a cable cold start like the VW diesel 4 cyl had. On my own car, I just HATE them, Makes the engine bay cluttered. My motor runs fine without it.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
No!!!! Don't pull it apart!!!!

There is a pre chamber in there. Don't mess with it. Do you know where the viewing window is for finding the Zero mark? Its on the Injection pump side of the motor at the back where the engine meets the transmission. If you have the green books, it should teach you everything you need to know about the D24.

I must pull it a apart because the first cylinder doesn't moving up and down,
and the other 5 cylinders are doing the job they have too do, the only thing what i am going to do in the first place is removing the oil pan and take a look what the problem is, if i can't fix it from the bottom, than i have too take the engine apart, but than i'm going too revise the entire engine,

today i'm going too take the oil out and oil pan removing and take a look, but if i know more i will let you all know here,