D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Jason, that's too bad to hear. M46s are cheap though and you're already all set up for it. Sounds like it was the combination of diesel torque and an aggressive clutch that knocked it out so fast. Why not just pick up another M46 for a hundred bucks and drop it in until you have the time/$$$ to get something more beefy in there? That will get the car back on the road at least and it should still be a blast to drive. People use these behind redblocks with quite a bit of power and torque so as long as you don't hammer it too hard on shifts I would think it would do OK for at least a while. You probably have enough turbo lag to protect it even with all the power and torque you have, as long as you go easy with launches and shifting.

Or -- I know you don't want to hear this but you could also rebuild the slushbox, get a nice converter for it, and put it back in. I like my ZF more every time I drive it...
Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Owner/admin

Ya there seems to be a lack of aftermarket stuff for the zf though. It would need a shift kit of some kind, and even if I could get the converter restalled up a little higher, I still cant controll the lock up, and it just wastes too much power when its slipping. M46s may be plentiful up where you are, but I had to get mine from PA! It was one that was advertised on here for sale. There aren't many volvos around here and no manuals. I have never seen one for sale on craigslist, or seen a manual volvo the local yards. I'm not going to waste the time putting the same thing back in, it didn't even last a week! I wasn't even at the track, I was just taking a friend for a ride and giving a "performance demonstration"... I really thought it would last the summer at least before shitting out. I don't have a lift here at the house and swapping the trans is a pain in my ass. If I take this one out I will for sure be stuffing something better in there. I've got some emails out on transmissions for sale locally on craigslist. I'm trying to scoop up a world class T-5. I'l just buy the adapter plate, and send my disc back to clutch net and have them rebuild it with the mustang center. The rest of the disc is brand new, hell it doesn't have 150 miles on it!

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

God man... I think it was the clutch that did it in. M46's M47;s and the like, I feel can handle 300hp Its how you manage the power. I killed an M46 on a stock 740 turbo.. Stock boost stock stock stock everything. blew the hell out of second gear. Ofcourse it was the aluminum cased m46. I am producing 270 crank hp from my 242 GT Turbo. and my M47 again aluminum cased is hold up fine with stock turbo clutch disc and PP. I just put the IPD Turbo cam in it and a .60/.63 Garrett T3 turbo on it... I do have a decent lag before power and still bang gears from time to time.. no probs.

Must be the diesel torque and the clutch.

Getrag BMW transmission I feel would be far easier to manage. I've helped a couple friends do the swap. My bro is doing it on his 244 16v Turbo... Turbo is a VGT from a Cummins hah. Its gonna be sick.

Anyways the Getrag shifter bracket and link rod is so simple to modify for the 7 series body.

Good job on killing the M46...
Old 04-10-2010, 04:30 AM
Owner/admin

T-5s are very common around here (probably everywhere). Volvo and getrag transmissions aren't. I want to stick with something that has easy parts access and it also has loads of upgrade parts available too. I'm sure the clutch didn't help things, but what is the use of a clutch that slips? I don't know what power its making, but I was putting it to the ground thats for sure! I wasn't power shifting it or anything crazy.... Obviously I'm not very good at "managing" the power my car is making. I am however very good at dishing it out and running the shit outa it!!! I think the T-5 is really going to open up some real potential. No trans or overdrive to worry about breaking anymore. I can throw in the studs and max it out. I think 13s are going to be possible. Its 14 sec material as is at 20lbs of boost!

Jason

Old 04-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Owner/admin

Mine was the steel case M46... Kinda funny I posted over on T-bricks with some t5 swap questions. As you guys know most everyone over there are diesel haters. They were impressed/suprised that i managed to blow up 3rd gear with a diesel.

lol they just don't get it

Green block power!

Jason

Old 04-10-2010, 04:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

nope they don't get it. I used to be on the other side of the fence. I didn't straight up hate them. But I've always kind of was enticed by the D24. back in '03 till '06 I've been very intimate with them, I worked for a guy who had his own volvo shop in a small town. There was a very high percentage of Diesels there. And I was the one who tore down the blown up/dead ones for rebuild. I did learn a bit from that. I realized how fun and easy they really are to work on. So much different than the Redblocks I learned to wrench on. Anyways, yeah Torque.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
As you guys know most everyone over there are diesel haters.
I think it is more jealousy than anything.
Its kind of annoying.
The majority of the cars on there really suck haha.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
nope they don't get it. I used to be on the other side of the fence. I didn't straight up hate them. But I've always kind of was enticed by the D24. back in '03 till '06 I've been very intimate with them, I worked for a guy who had his own volvo shop in a small town. There was a very high percentage of Diesels there. And I was the one who tore down the blown up/dead ones for rebuild. I did learn a bit from that. I realized how fun and easy they really are to work on. So much different than the Redblocks I learned to wrench on. Anyways, yeah Torque.
I wish I had a similar background to yours. Sounds like you learned a lot and acquired skills that will serve you for a lifetime.