D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2014, 10:48 AM

Default 82 244 Diesel To Be Restored In SoCal

I picked up a 1982 diesel 244, or better known as a 264, with a 134-4 paint code and blue velour interior. I have had it for a month or so now and so far it's been sitting in my storage not running.

Let me start with how I got it. I looked on Craigslist one day and saw this car for 300$ about 15 minutes from me, which doesn't happen ever. I thought, wow what a cool car. A few days later I said screw it I am going to go look at it. I went to the guy's place and it was all the way at the top of Mulholland right past the look-out, literally. I pulled off the road right past the look-out and there was this dirt road carved into the mountain... I followed the road almost a mile and parked where I saw a few cars. The property owner, Alfie, showed me where the car was. It had toppled over on his dirt road 6 years earlier by the previous owner and he had pulled it out with his tractor. It drove perfectly and the owner gave it to Alfie as a favor after the whole incident, the previous owner just didn't want to deal with it. This guy Alfie was going to continue to drive it on his property but ended having too many cars so it sat unregistered for 6 years after that... uncovered in direct sunlight.

I looked at it very well and I know it's sketchy buying a car that's been crashed like this. BUT I looked at everything, the hood shut and lined up well, the doors shut and lined up almost perfect and the trunk is untouched. No rust under the floorboards OR window corners. Now the only concern was the glass, it had popped out but the frame looked OK, so I said screw it. I will make it work. May not be a perfect car when it's done, but it will be nice.The roof is dented in the front corners slightly, the front fenders are smashed bad and the driver's door has a bad crunch.

This car has it's good side as well though. The pink slip was signed by the original owner in the glove box, has the original blue plates, and a complete matching key set with spares. Also came with nice Coronas, a spare tire and a jack. It also has both badges, original grille and NOTHING missing under the hood... A complete interior with power windows and working sunroof as well. Anyways, I went to the DMV before I paid for the car and three trips later they dropped the fees from 600$ + to 240$ out the door, no smog. I paid for it, talked Alfie down to 200$ and brought the car home on a flatbed trailer with a spare set of wheels.

As usual, like every car I buy, it needs new tail lights, corner lights, a battery, a windshield and an interior swap but that never stops me. At least it's all there and the seats work.

So let me get to the fun stuff. I vacuumed the whole car and cleaned out the trunk & started to make a list of things I should pick up. I also filled the back seat with parts so I have more room at home LOL. The original owner added a simple relay thing to the engine bay that has something to do with the fuel pump. I am just going to remove it for now, I will figure out what it is first but it doesn't look like it was installed very well.

So far I haven't touched the engine but I put a nice set of tires on the Corona wheels, found a really nice blue dash and glove box, replaced the headlight bezel and reflectors, found a nice pair of corner buckets, and an ok armrest. Also got hubcaps and a trailer hitch LOL.
Dash went in because I had no where to put it and the new glove box cover swapped onto the old glove box perfectly. I have also been desperately looking for a windshield, first used but now new. I talked to a guy at a window shop down the street and he sold me a 91+ windshield so I started preparing the windshield frame, removed all the tar, removed the A pillars and top trim to remove more tar... Then used a windshield frame priming paint and unfortunately had to wetsand all the tape off from my homemade saran wrap windshield. That was the worst idea ever to put on.

I am working on installing the windshield but I've run into a small problem... The windshield frame IS tweaked and the windshield isn't fitting well. I am just going to have to make it work and deal with it. The local glass guy says he can grind a new windshield and hopefully it fits.

After I get past this first hurdle, I have IPD sway bars coming for it, a new battery, do a synthetic oil change and refresh the fuel system. I also need to inspect the timing belt as I am concerned about starting an engine that hasn't seen oil circulation in 6 years.

Here are some more pictures:

I found this at the JY with 50% off interior. It was on a 89ish DL. Two tone blue and black with matching glove box cover.

I got a turbo cluster which will get a boost only gauge. Glove box with correct lock and speaker grills with blank brackets.

New switch board and switches. It needs a new steering wheel and column cover.

Found a small dent in the sunroof but it opens and closes perfectly.

Nice grommets from an 92. I also got wiper blades to go on along with the wiper arms and uncracked covers.

And to finish this post I will write what else I did. Unsmashed the buttcheaks and made them pretty straight. Installed some half decent rear mudflaps... Found/installed a Volvo brass license plate frame. I also have early power mirrors to be painted and installed. That's it for now.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Supporting Member

What a story! Which lookout on Mulholland?

The relay may have been part of a workaround manual-operated glowplug control. Did you find any extra "buttons" on or near the dashboard?

Inspect well the fuel hoses to the fuel filter and filter to Injection Pump (IP) for dry rot and/or loose connections. Also all the heater/coolant hoses running along the engine block. Make sure you have a strong battery and charger for the starting attempt. I recently had one quickly jump to life after sitting 2-3 years.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
What a story! Which lookout on Mulholland?

The relay may have been part of a workaround manual-operated glowplug control. Did you find any extra "buttons" on or near the dashboard?

Inspect well the fuel hoses to the fuel filter and filter to Injection Pump (IP) for dry rot and/or loose connections. Also all the heater/coolant hoses running along the engine block. Make sure you have a strong battery and charger for the starting attempt. I recently had one quickly jump to life after sitting 2-3 years.
The lookout right before you get to Kanan on Mulholland Hwy. I never knew there was a dirt road there.

I took a second look at the wiring that was installed. It took battery power to a regular relay, then signal from what I think is the fuel cut off switch. Then all that was connected to a 3 wire module that had two wires sent to a voltage regulator that was hanging next to the new looking alternator with its own voltage regulator. I pulled it all off. It was put together with just crimp connectors and the module said nothing but made in china. And I found no switches to the passenger compartment.

I plan on replacing the coolant hoses, coolant, oil, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel and installing a brand new battery asap before I start it. Then immediately bring it home and do a timing belt/ water pump. A few years ago I got a 245 diesel started after sitting along time with the help of a member on here, 745 TurboGreasel. It had a manual so we dragged it behind a truck and it ran.

This car had boxes of old injectors and glow plugs in the trunk so its safe to say six years ago they were all replaced with new.

88 Cbr 600 F1

86 JS 550