D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanomag View Post
Good to know, I was just curious if there were any tips to possibly help the poor design for startup oiling. My driveway has a little slope so I guess i could back it it and it may help but surely look cool..
I just install a 1 1/2 qrt oil accumulator on mine. I put a T fitting on the oil pressure sender I open to valve when the glow plugs are heating and when it starts it makes pressure quick I have 1/4 in hose on it and will make a max of about 20 pounds if you run the motor, shut off the open the valve
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanomag View Post
Does anyone know where the oil pickup is for these engines (front, middle, rear of oil pan)? I am wondering if parking the car nose down nose up on a slight incline like a driveway would be better, worse, maybe not affect the startup oiling issue? Is the issue really an issue if 5w 40 syn and warm up times are allotted? Does it mater how we park these old oil burners?
The issue's not an issue unless your motor has it -- only some of them do. I wouldn't necessarily call it inherent -- certainly something that *can* happen as these age, but not something that *will* happen. As far as I recall it wasn't an issue with yours.

Even on motors that do have the delayed oil psi syndrome, I have yet to see one have any identifiable real effect as a result of it, including in cases where they have been running this way every day for many years. Of my own 3 D24T cars, two make immediate pressure after startup and the other one takes quite a while. Doesn't seem to matter. The slow one has been doing it as long as I have had it, which is 30k miles, and probably was doing it a long time before that. I think the cam and the turbo would be the first things to suffer, and no issues thus far. I'm careful not to put my foot into it until the light goes out, and try to keep the oil level up since that seems to help; otherwise, I ignore it.

I have pictures of some oil pumps I had apart last year where I was seeing some relief piston wear that I think might be responsible for this in cases where it occurs -- no empirical data since I wasn't able to run those motors, but that's the best explanation I can think of. As to what causes that, I don't know; my guess is that Volvo's original service recommendation of conventional 15W40 oil, changed every 7500 miles, with filter changes only every 15,000 miles (!) probably meant that towards the end of the filter's life, on cold mornings with 15-40 in the sump, the filter was bypassing a fair amount of the time and lubrication was not so good.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbadberg View Post
I just install a 1 1/2 qrt oil accumulator on mine. I put a T fitting on the oil pressure sender I open to valve when the glow plugs are heating and when it starts it makes pressure quick I have 1/4 in hose on it and will make a max of about 20 pounds if you run the motor, shut off the open the valve
Pictures of setup?

What brand?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 740/745 D24T will be mine again soon

I would also like to see a picture or drawing of this setup.
1985 Volvo 745 Wagon 2.4TD (sold but still maintain it)
1987 VW Quantum Syncro 2.2 (converting to 2.0TD)
1996 TDI Passat
1997 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.5TD
2006 V10 TDI Touareg
Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 AM

Its a moroso that i found on ebay i had the rest of
The hardware on hand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-01-2014, 09:39 AM

I used the oil sender for my oil galley ascess
The hose is 1/4 in hydrolic line. It may not flow the
Best when cold but any oil is better than none
Its just a little piece of mind for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.8 KB, 15 views)