D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2014, 11:54 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

http://www.mrtenginerebuild.com/code...orcode/dn.html

This seems to confirm DN and also GR for 740 TD, and shows NR for a 940TD

Last edited by 745 TurboGreasel; 04-10-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: Volvo 965

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
D24TIC is Volvo's designation so that would be the one that should matter, no?
Yes, but...bureaucracy.
Quote:
D24T motors in US Volvos are stamped "DV" on the block below the vacuum pump, and through mid-1984 they also have "D24" or "D24T" stamped in the horizontal surface at the left-front of the cyl head. However, Volvo's service literature never makes any mention of that two-letter VAG code. DN likely designates it in VAG's internal classification as being a motor manufactured for sale to Volvo, but since that's not part of Volvo's identification system, I doubt there's any kind of documentation anywhere that could tie the "DN" code to a particular car - it probably only indicates that VW built it for the Volvo application, and I imagine it does not give any detail as to what happened to it after that. I think all the service and parts literature for motors used in Volvos classifies by Volvo's code, rather than the VW codes, which might be why the DN code doesn't appear anywhere. (FWIW the Pinz "NY" code also is not mentioned in any literature anywhere...)
Thanks. That clears it for me, hopefully I will be able to explain the same thing to bureaucrats. Since the DN number is printed in my car's papers, I will try to explain that it is a sort of an engine serial number, whereas D24TIC stamped underneath it is engine type, and refer them to the Green Book, which clearly states its specifications.

Quote:
The product plate above the RH headlamp gives some more detail as to what components the car was built with, but to my knowledge Volvos don't have a "build sheet" that identifies serial numbers of individual components, at least if they do I would not know where to find it.
Great, another helpful detail that I looked over. From the VIN it is clear that the car is originally D24TIC with an M46 (which it was until I broke M46 and swapped M47 I had laying around. But no one cares about the gearbox anyway.)
As for the build sheet, neither have I ever came across such a thing on a Brick before, but it doesn't matter, hopefully VIN/Engine type reference from the Green Book should suffice.

Quote:
Does BiH keep a registry of engine and chassis numbers? I think the D24TIC stamping in the block would be enough to establish that it is at least supposed to be a Volvo motor -- the Volvo service literature should be able to prove that. What other information are you being asked to provide?
Yes, they do keep a registry containing model, manufacture year, color, owner and one (latest) previous owner name, chassis number, engine number, fuel type, displacement and engine power. Tax/registration is calculated based on the latter two. Checking chassis numbers is extremely uncommon, and checking engine number even more, but if so happens, if something is not matching, penalties and law pursuits are not to be disregarded, and the car is usually confiscated, which would not bother me much in any other case, but since I hold this chassis very dear, I don't want to risk anything and would rather do everything by the book, which is usually slow and painful process, but I have to do it.

EDIT:
Thanks, 740TG...that site might come useful.

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 04-11-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: haven't seen 740TG's post