D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2010, 03:16 AM

Default D24 D24T D24TIC? how to distinguish? Volvo pics inside

Hi there crazy volvo lovers,

I live in portugal and am a volvo addict, iīm 60 yrs old and have about 10 volvos, a 765 D24TIC bought in France , a 765 D24 Bought in USA (LOVE THAt FRONT), a d24t 760, a 944 b200ft, a 245 d24 and a 164 3.0 and my LPG baby 765 PRV 2.8, a 242 GT and a 122

I also have loads of engines and gearboxs on my garage, i an now trying to rebuild a 765 and have many blocks but i want to make a D24TIC or at least a D24T, the problem is i donīt know hot to distinguish the blocks from a D24, D24T and D24TIC (if it is in anyway possible)

for example i have a block that has DN 021357 written, do you know if by there numbers/letters is it possible to find out if is it a turbo or non turbo engine??

Thanks and as soon as i can i will put some more pictures

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and my baby the 765 made in USA bought in New jersey from a portuguese Airplane mechanic

[IMG][/IMG]

more pictures later
Old 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Owner/admin

I sure as hell wouldn't mind having your storage!

If the engine is complete, look at the front of the cylinder head, it will have D24T stamped in it, or D24 if it was orginally non turbo. As far as I know there is no difference between the D24T and Tic engine/block. If the head is already off, you will have to take the oil pan off and look up under the pistons and see if there are oil squirters present. If so its a turbo engine and the better block. If not, its a NA engine. There may be a engine block number database that you could look up the engine numbers to see what it was, but I don't know of one. Maybe a volvo dealer can look up the number.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Only the early engines have D24 or D24T stamped at the front of the head (1984 and before). '85 and onwards there is no designation stamped there.

A D24T block will have a coolant hose outlet pointing upwards right above the thermostat housing, low on the left side of the block, to supply coolant to the oil cooler and also will have a coolant neck on the back of the head where the return flow from the oil cooler circuit is received. A non-turbo D24 block has neither of those. That is probably the fastest and easiest external way to tell the block and head apart on NA versus T engines.

D24T and D24TIC are the same internally, the only difference is that the TIC is intercooled, has the turbo compressor housing clocked differently, uses a true air-to-oil heat exchanger instead of the coolant-based VW oil cooler, and has a "tropical" heavy-duty viscous fan clutch to make the fan move more air.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 AM

thanks, that is a sure help for me, i will later put some photos of my engines and the volvo 760 that i am working on
Old 11-08-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcinoloureiro View Post
thanks, that is a sure help for me, i will later put some photos of my engines and the volvo 760 that i am working on
Any updates? Where are those images?

BTW, are the D24T and D24TIC heads the same or interchangeable?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Interchangable yes, 'the same' is relative.
D24T have a hole in the block for a dipstick, D24 have it in the pan.
They also have a VW letter code stamped on the pump side of the block, some of these are;
D24 CP - DW - 1S - ACT
D24T 1G - DV
D24tIC ACL - DN - NR
D24T Pinzgauer NY

Last edited by 745 TurboGreasel; 04-10-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Supporting Member

Default Blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
Interchangable yes, 'the same' is relative.
D24T have a hole in the block for a dipstick, D24 have it in the pan.
They also have a VW letter code stamped on the pump side of the block, some of these are;
D24 CP DW 1S ACT
D24T 1G DV
D24tIC ACL
Another one to add to the list: NY, code for a D24T in a Pinzgauer, and those are interesting, turns out they are like a D24 in that they don't have a hole in the block skirt for a dipstick (Pinz has the dipstick tube enter through the pan like a D24 240 has), and they also do not have the heater hose outlet on the back of the block. Block is stamped "072 103 021" rather than regular D24T number "072 103 011". I am not sure, but I suspect it may be that a D24T in an LT van may also use a similar setup in terms of the dipstick since the LT has the motor tipped further over, like a 240 and Pinzgauer do, which seems to be the rationale for having the dipstick on the sump instead. I wonder if the Volvo 700 series is the only one that has the dipstick going thru the block... wonder also if a NA D24 for a Euro 700 is set up this way too. However, I'm pretty sure that the NY code is specifically for the Pinzgauer since the two of those that I have seen both had very low serial numbers -- Hecklebone's is somewhere around #100 and the other one was #1057 despite being a couple years newer!

I think the Volvo TD blocks are stamped "DM" -- or is it "DV"? Sometime we should try to put together a complete list, might help for identifying loose parts.

Another interesting thing: I have seen the NY block with a hydraulic head and also with a mechanical head -- not sure which they were supposed to come with originally, but it made me wonder if you could get away with running a hydraulic head on a regular Volvo-spec D24T without modifications? Would be a fun experiment, if a head could be found cheap; or maybe someone from the other side of the pond knows...

Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 AM

Vehicle: Volvo 965

On my D24TIC, numbers on the block and in the papers are matching.

Refeering to the picture above, upper number is:
*DN 014710* (IIRC)
and directly underneath it, on that shorter part of the...let us say "plate", where in the picture there is nothing stampet, on my car is stamped:
D24TIC.

So, it clearly is a Volvo D24TIC block, and "DN" should be VW ID number, but I can't seem to find ANYTHING about that anywhere on the internet or in catalogs, only VW ID that comes up regarding D24TIC is ACL...

Anyone ever came across DN designation and can refeer me to some official documentation mentioning DN engine, since I really need it in order to sort some legal issues regarding the engine...

Thanks in advance and best regards.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Supporting Member

D24TIC is Volvo's designation so that would be the one that should matter, no?

D24T motors in US Volvos are stamped "DV" on the block below the vacuum pump, and through mid-1984 they also have "D24" or "D24T" stamped in the horizontal surface at the left-front of the cyl head. However, Volvo's service literature never makes any mention of that two-letter VAG code. DN likely designates it in VAG's internal classification as being a motor manufactured for sale to Volvo, but since that's not part of Volvo's identification system, I doubt there's any kind of documentation anywhere that could tie the "DN" code to a particular car - it probably only indicates that VW built it for the Volvo application, and I imagine it does not give any detail as to what happened to it after that. I think all the service and parts literature for motors used in Volvos classifies by Volvo's code, rather than the VW codes, which might be why the DN code doesn't appear anywhere. (FWIW the Pinz "NY" code also is not mentioned in any literature anywhere...)

The product plate above the RH headlamp gives some more detail as to what components the car was built with, but to my knowledge Volvos don't have a "build sheet" that identifies serial numbers of individual components, at least if they do I would not know where to find it.

Does BiH keep a registry of engine and chassis numbers? I think the D24TIC stamping in the block would be enough to establish that it is at least supposed to be a Volvo motor -- the Volvo service literature should be able to prove that. What other information are you being asked to provide?