D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 AM

Vehicle: 1987 Volvo 745
Default Wvo

I am curious how many of you run a two tank system with filtered WVO? I know that the Mercedes have been known to do well on the stuff and I would assume that the D24T should also perform well but I would appreciate some real world experience. It seems that if one could find a good source for oil and then filtered it down to about 5 microns and had a reliable two tank system you could drive for next to nothing.

How long does it take before the oil is warm enough to switch over?

Do the inline heater pads help to switch onto veggie sooner in the real world or extremely cold weather?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Supporting Member

I ran my D24T on WVO a few years ago, back when I could obtain a reliable supply.

Car ran fine on WVO. Insulated Flat Plate Heat Exchanger, hose-on-hose heated insulated fuel line, heated dedicated WVO filter, heated (plastic outboard motor) tank in trunk.

Changeover can happen as soon as the engine is up to operating temp. Coking the rings/ring lands happens when you burn WVO at low engine temps; that is the main thing to avoid. So time-to-changeover depends more on engine temp than fuel temp. The WVO just needs to be able to flow thru the lines and filter.

Prefiltering to 5 microns should be fine; the stock fuel filter is in the neighborhood of 10 microns nominal. Just as important is to dewater the WVO in order to avoid cavitation erosion damage to the IP and injectors.

Unfortunately the WVO supply has dried up in my area, after the monopolistic General Biodiesel plant moved in and cornered the market.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 1987 Volvo 745

Do you recommend a brand of two tank unit or would building a custom system be just as easy and cost effective?

How long will a purge after a run take if you are just idling?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

I switch when I get too or off the highway with is 1.5-2 miles form my house.

Used a coolant heated tank with hose in a hose heated line, tough I would now probably go with the Parker bound 3 hose stuff. Looped fuel return, 3 port electric valve, and manual ball valves to restore normal return function and purge to external jug. I have an aluminum marine tank in the tire well.

Ive seen a lot of kits, and none of them really struck me as automotive grade. I usually spend about $100 at the hydraulic shop for fittings.