D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 PM

Default engine bay clean up!

Can I remove the cold start device completely? Can I remove the high altitude comp device too? Thanks
Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 AM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad1966 View Post
Can I remove the cold start device completely? Can I remove the high altitude comp device too? Thanks
1 depends where you live? mine has never worked, but it doesn't ever get much below freezing.
2 If you do, wire the its solenoid on the pump to be on with the engine, you might now have some issue over 6000 feet.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

You can also remove the alt comp system from the IP entirely by getting a pressure relief valve and timing advance piston cover off an earlier (pre-1984.5) pump without the system, then you can eliminate the solenoid and its little hydraulic line.

Or, if you want to disable it without having to add a wire, you can unscrew the solenoid and remove the plunger and spring inside it, then reinstall the solenoid.

However, this system doesn't ever seem to give much trouble as long as the wiring is OK, and from time to time it's handy to have the solenoid there and functioning, to give the timing a little bump (e.g. cold weather, high altitude, etc). Unless you have reason to believe it's malfunctioning, I would probably leave well enough alone.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Supporting Member

CSD: You could remove the small coolant/wax pellet housing and cable to "clean up" that area but should retain the lever coming out the side of the IP, maybe even rig up a lawnmower throttle-type cable to the dashboard to manually control cold start advance/idle bump.

High altitude advance: Are you wanting to remove the "flying saucer with easily breakable flag terminals plastic rectangle on top of it" or the actual solenoid/piping on the side of the IP? For ease you could remove the flying saucer and simply jumper wire the High altitude advance solenoid to the fuel shutoff solenoid.