D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
Would like to keep it diesel, but I guess 200hp/400ish torque is max for D24's, Merc diesels (OM606) are great but it would be a treason in a way... Whiteblocks (T4/5/6) are in my book "glass blocks" and just not cool, red-block is only 4 cylinder and I have it in my other 900's so I'm running out of the options...

A John Lane style PRV, perhaps?
I had a late-model PRV once, it was a 1989 760 GLE sedan. I liked driving it; the late B280 V6 with the even-fire split crank was a really smooth runner.

But it only came with a non-lockup automatic, and it really hogged fuel. The 145hp gas V6 was not really that much quicker than a good-running stock D24T with automatic, and the diesel got twice the MPG (seriously). The V6 can make power with a turbo and different heads, etc, but it seems like it takes a lot of work and money to do it since nothing is available off the shelf. I have met John Lane and seen his car, and it's pretty cool, but he definitely had to put in a lot of effort to get it as far as he did....

That V6 was also weird to work on, since almost every bolt head needed an 11mm wrench! Apparently fairly common French practice, but you almost never see an 11mm fastener head anywhere else, so I was surprised at first. My 11mm sockets had never gotten so much attention before I got that car...

Anyway, the PRV was a neat motor, definitely much more interesting than a redblock, but I think it would take time and money to make one fast and it would still use a lot of fuel.

Since you are in Europe, you probably have a lot of good diesel options that we don't have here. I think the 2.5L five cylinder TDI motor would be a great swap into a D24 Volvo, since the engines are very similar in their architecture and many parts (e.g. bellhousing, starter, flywheel/clutch, etc) would bolt right in where the D24 was. They came in all kinds of vehicles over there, Audi cars, VW LT and T4 vans, Volvo 850's, etc.

Then again, fixing the headgasket in the D24T is not that hard, and you could put in studs so that it doesn't give you trouble again. That is probably the fastest, cheapest, and easiest option, plus the nicest sound...
Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 AM

Vehicle: Volvo 965

Thanks for the input. I've been silent for some time, but now I am back with a little update.
Car sat in my backyard from early December until last week. In the meantime, I bought a barely-running 964 B204FT, fixed it and drove it most of the time. Sold it now, and back to the wagon.

It was not about HG, I feel I could change a HG on a D24 with my eyes closed, since this was 4th HG in these three years. The point is, I got tired of doing HG's, valves, bearings, etc on this engine every-so-much.
Also, the head is gone, it had 11 cracks. I did eventually fix it as-is, got new (well, used) head with better cam and intake manifold, new valves, HG and everything that goes along. So, the car is back on the road.

However, I am still tired of the D24 and this "rebuild" is there just to keep the car mobile until the swap. I was thinking over AEL/D5252T engine, but dropped the idea in the end, since I do not want to end up with a Volvo 950.
Moreover, it just doesn't do it for me...
PRV6 is also out of the question, for availability reasons, since I have not been able to find one engine as the base point, let alone spares and parts.
Redblock is cool, my 960 16v turbo was a great car, but I couldn't either find another B204FT as a starting point, nor could I find at least an 8v turbo, or a 16v head or...more or less, anything. Availability again. I could have started with an '93 FD block, or similar, and work my way with custom parts and VEMS (or alike), but in the end it would take forever to finish and be way overpaid.
And still...it is only 4cyl.
I wanted a 6cyl. Volvo doesn't have one. B30 is too old, conceptually, and unobtainable, and 24v white blocks are junk. At least IMHO. Had a 960 3.0, never more.
And there is the gearbox issue, since this is Europe and Worldclass T-5 is "never heard of".
So, it seemed like the only way around everything, i.e. to have a:
- 6cyl
- turbo
- dohc
- over 2.0
- stock EMS
was to swap something non-Volvo. And so it is.
I am usually against those "cross-bred" cars, but really, there isn't other way.
Especially not in this price range.
So, the base is here:

M50B25, iron block, non VaNoS.
For the time being, I will gather parts for turbocharging, then prepare it and get it to work, hopefully it will be in the car by the end of the summer.

Anyway, I have legal part of the conversion to solve, and I'm hoping someone here could help me.

Is there any official VW/Volvo document/manual that could be scanned that shows D24TIC engine numbers. I still have the original block in the car (and, apart from the crankshaft, that is the only thing left of that engine, head and internals changed too much times), hence the original engine number in the title, but for some reason it is registered as 60kW (80HP), which is D24's power rating. I need to prove it is D24TIC, rated at 90kW (122HP), in order to make the M50 swap legal... So, I need a VW/Volvo piece of paper, or a scan, that proves that "engines with engine number starting with *XY* are rated at 90kW", or something.
Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Is there any official VW/Volvo document/manual that could be scanned that shows D24TIC engine numbers. I still have the original block in the car (and, apart from the crankshaft, that is the only thing left of that engine, head and internals changed too much times), hence the original engine number in the title, but for some reason it is registered as 60kW (80HP), which is D24's power rating. I need to prove it is D24TIC, rated at 90kW (122HP), in order to make the M50 swap legal... So, I need a VW/Volvo piece of paper, or a scan, that proves that "engines with engine number starting with *XY* are rated at 90kW", or something.
This doesn't provide reference connecting a particular engine serial number to output level but maybe will suffice?

Sounds like quite a project, keep us posted on how it goes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1.jpg (19.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg p2.jpg (19.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Supporting Member

Whoops, those are too low res, let's try this instead:

Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
This doesn't provide reference connecting a particular engine serial number to output level but maybe will suffice?
I must be stupid. Only place on Earth I haven't checked is Green Book. lol
Anyway, thank you. I have a full pdf scan of that particular book somewhere on my Dropbox. I guess it should work. The DN number is printed in the title, but D24TIC is stamped right under it on the block, so it should be clear to anyone. I will try, hopefully next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Sounds like quite a project, keep us posted on how it goes!
Bits and pieces will be time consuming...therefore, I was planing on keeping silent untill it starts driving, but I could report progress here, if there is interest in it and if it would not be a sort of hijacking, since it is a D24 forum after all...
Anyway, first on the list is getting rid of surplus cars in order to fund this project, then sorting a car, any car to stay mobile over the course of the transplant. From then on, it should be smooth, unless...

Thanks for everything.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
The DN number is printed in the title, but D24TIC is stamped right under it on the block, so it should be clear to anyone. I will try, hopefully next week.
Yeah, that info seems to be very clear on how to identify the motor and what the different output ratings are, so if all you have to do is prove that it is a 90kw motor, it seems like for all reasonable intents and purposes this would be sufficient. Though I suppose this sort of stuff still always depends to some degree on what kind of mood the offical who is working with you happens to be in that day, so you never know...

Yeah, it's not a D24, but I'm sure we will be interested to see some updates from time to time anyway... Sounds like it will be the only one of its kind, at least!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:32 PM

Never boring here!

Since MOT/TUeV/Registration/whatever expires today (May 28th), and since HG and head are again acting out, and I do not plan to register it again before I put the M50 in, yesterday I decided to play with the pump a bit.

Did the governor mod. Shimmed the main spring with a M5 or M6 nut, put everything together, played with timing and max fuel screw to get it to idle nice, but then it just wouldn't pull till ~3krpm, then it would be fine.
I'm sure I put the throttle lever back on the same spline where it was, but something just didn't feel right. And it wouldn't rev over ~5300, just like before the mod.
Moved throttle lever one spline further, idle jumped to ~2000, couldn't get it lower with max fuel screw - it would drop to idle, but after a blip on the throttle it would stay at 2000. Would drop from higher revs normally, and if I would back max fuel screw more, it would shake on the edge of stalling.

Even with idle at 2000, it had no power till about 4krpm, had to keep it floored so it wouldn't stall when setting off...

After moving the lever one spline further last 1/4 of the gas pedal travel became harder, like there was some resistance. But when I'd press hard enough and overcome it, there was instant power and it would go over 6k rpms in 1st gear (traffic didn't allow for higher gears).

However, I parked and decided to call it a day, revved it just once again in neutral and then...it died.

I thought I knew what happened, so I depressed the accelerator all the way. I was right - pedal travel was now smooth all the way.

So I guess I broke the governor shaft and sent pieces of it flying into the pump spining at 3000 rpm...so I don't see a way of pump getting out of this alive.

Didn't bother opening it, but I eventually will, just for fun.

The damage is done, but I'm curious to why - does anyone have an entertaining theory about what happened?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

I'd guess at something having been misaligned when you put it back together.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:18 PM

I guess I should have used shims instead of a nut.

However, I'll post pictures when I open the pump at some later point.
For now, the whole thing is going out...

Old 06-24-2014, 07:31 AM

Life went downhill, priorities changed...hence, got to work on the car just today.

Here:

Now the real thing...coming soon.