D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 04-18-2014, 12:00 AM

Default cambelt

hi all my car has 214000 miles now when the next cam belt change is due .i will replace the tensioner.the idler pulley. the water pump was done last time
is there any thing else i should change in this area to avoid cam belt failure
i get all these items changed at about 60000 miles to be safe . are there any nuts or bolts that should be replaced . i can not afford for the belt to fail as it would mean the end of this great car that has served me well .
all comments welcome
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

60,000 miles is a good interval for having the belt replaced.

It sounds like you have a good sense already for what should be changed with the belt. The system is pretty simple on these engines, only one idler pulley, the water pump, and the belt. Some very late model D24TIC engines in European 940s with EGR (I think only ~1995 and up?) have an additional tensioner pulley that should also be changed.

IMO the water pump is usually OK to replace only every second time the belt is done, they seem to have a remarkably long lifespan on average. However, at least replacing its O-ring gasket is a good idea while it is accessible, and if you want to be extra-cautious about the belt, replacing the pump altogether is your best insurance. There aren't any single-use fasteners that need to be replaced. Looking at camshaft and crankshaft lip seals for any signs of leakage, and replacing if they are questionable, is a good idea. However, leaks there are rare. Otherwise, the items you mentioned are the only ones that are routinely necessary.

I would say you are on the right track!

How has it been starting lately, did the issues you were concerned about before get resolved?

Last edited by v8volvo; 04-18-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:20 AM

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi v8volvo
i have noticed the cam belt has moved back a bit to the back edge of the cam wheel so not quite sitting in the centre of the wheel it was more foreword but now moved back .
my starting issues are better i think i have swopped the cold stat for another second hand one that has some movement but not a lot so the revs go up when engine cold then drop of when engine hot it is not perfect but hope its better